Taylor V brace and intonation

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
edited September 2018 in Acoustics
I’m somewhat wary of the potential for snake oil in guitar marketing..

Read a review of the above in this months guitarist mag. Suggested that the V bracing system improved intonation across the fretboard..

What do we think?

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I tried one in Mansons the other day...very nice, a lot of sustain apart from that hard to say, usual Taylor playability, etc etc
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited September 2018
    From Taylor’s website:-

“V-Class bracing makes the top more in tune with the vibrating strings. This eliminates much of the interference that causes some notes to waver and sound slightly out of tune.

As a result, notes and chords played anywhere on the neck are more consistent and in tune with each other.”

So the claim is that the top vibrating more in tune with the strings reduces intonation issues. But to my (admittedly very limited) knowledge, intonation issues are independent of the top vibrating. I thought it was an arithmetic thing caused by the geometry of the guitar. Happy to be corrected on this though.  

• question - can u imagine a British maker (or European for that mater) coming away with this kinda marketing that we see from over the pond - but they love it all in the stares - they just cant put a product out there and let the buying public decide.
    I usually bring ambient atmospheric pressure as an important variable into such discussions - who knows / cares.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    amazing how much great sounding guitar music must have been played on slightly out of tune guitars before Taylor solved the "problem"...horseshit..they needed a new USP
  • Just as I suspected..

The thing that interests me the most is that the Guitarist mags reviewer experienced the improvement... either confirmation bias or something much more disturbing..

Si
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

The Guitar magazine gave them very favourable review as well.

It's all a bit academic to me.  I don't like Taylor necks.  Give me the nice V on my Martin any day.

• oh wait - aren't those 'Parabolic' built in EQ'ed (specifically for u'r guitar - what ?) strings supposed to improve  intonation  issues as well - none of this stuff makes better music though.