To Mod or not to Mod? (Pedal)

So, I'm experiencing a little buyer's remorse re: a pedal that hasn't arrived yet.

The pedal is commercial clone of another pedal, and in videos, it sounds good, but not quite the same. I'm being intentionally vague here until I get the pedal and try it, and look inside, because I don't think most of the people demoing the pedal are any good. So I'm not going to get into specifics until I can take a look and verify how good the clone is, how good it sounds, etc.

So, let's say it arrives, and doesn't sound quite how I'd like, and there are some possible mods that could be done to get this to sound closer to the original, how do people feel about modding, if there's a possibility of resale?

If it was you, would you mod, running the risk of reducing resale value? Just punt it on? Cost paid to me isn't much different from, say, a Pedalparts kit, so if I do some work on it, and it's not re-sellable, it's not the end of the world. Mods would be socketing certain components, so I could always return it to stock, it'd just be stock with sockets instead of hard wired components for tone stack or clipping diodes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it's cheap, you bought it for a reason, it doesn't sound right but there are known mods, why wouldn't you mod it?

Live with it for a while, different amps/guitars then if not happy get the back off and mod it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom