Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chorus Recommendations

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 653

I'm looking to dip my toe into the world of chorus, after recently hearing quite a few Ryan Adams tracks.

Any suggestions for a (Cheaper the better) pedal that is a good starting point?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh, and I don't really want to fork out for his VCR pedal just yet....I always remember not liking chorus very much so would rather have a cheaper option to begin with
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    One of

CE1
    TC-SCF
    Analogman Bi Chorus,

that is all you need to know,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    One of

CE1
    TC-SCF
    Analogman Bi Chorus,

that is all you need to know,

Though great, none of those would be in the cheap end of the scale, which the OP mentioned.

Boss CE5 comes in around the £50 mark, or you could go for the TC Corona mini, as you add Tone Prints to that, which would allow you to figure out which types of chorus you like and could then limit your search down for individual pedals that do that type better

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
    edited September 2018
    I'd recommend having a look at either the TC Electronic 3rd Dimension or the Afterglow. Both sound great, they're rock solid, and a few places like Gear4Music are selling them for £26 at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got a analog Rocktek jobbie which i’ll post for £25. Sounds really decent, let down by a cheap plastic casing. 
  • I had one of those Rocktek Chorus pedals and it sounded very very good! Wish I hadn't sold it. I always thought it might be a mono version of the Arion Stereo Chorus (although I'm not sure if my theory has any basis in reality).
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    TC Corona is pretty solid.  The toneprints are nice because you can get variations of it.  Eventually you tend to settle on one you like, but it's quite handy to be able to try all the different flavours.
  • It depends on what you want: squishy or non-squishy :)

Sguishy chorus to me is stuff like the Analogman chorus pedals, CE-1, Small Clone, Diamond Halo, and others in that ballpark. Thicker sounding chorus. 

Non-squishy is stuff like the CE-2, MXR Stereo Chorus, CE-2B, Arion chorus pedals. Headroom, not as thick as the squishy ones, much better for Smiths jangle and Johnny Marr/Peter Buck stuff. 

I'm in the non-squishy camp all the way. 

Cheapish recommendations: 

-CE-2B is my fave. £40 if you get the right one
    -Arion SCH-1: can also be had cheap if you're lucky
    -Hardwire chorus (some excellent sounds here but rising in price and getting harder to find). 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I like the MXR micro chorus for its simplicity (one knob) and great sound, about £50 used.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • The Mooer Ensemble King will get you there 
  • Yeah, came in to say Mooer as well. It's (I think) a CE-2 clone but with a mix control too. I've never felt a need to upgrade from mine.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Catalinbread Calisto:
    Analog, lush and clangy, 0-100% mix control, control over the delay/width/seperation, thick tone with plenty of high-end, volume matches bypass.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    The Danelectro FAB chorus is pretty good for ~£10 s/h.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    I just picked up a tc corona for £60 and I am pretty impressed with it.  Even sounds good with overdrive. 
  • Some of the cheaper boys can be noisey
  • The Mooer Ensemble King sounds great but I really hate micro pedals so my recommendation is probably the MXR Micro Chorus. I'd still have one if I wasn't in the hate phase of my love/hate relationship with chorus. 
  • Gadget said:
    I have a Danelectro chorus somewhere which, I think, cost me £15. It thinks it's the FAB although I'm not too sure. Bought something more expensive after but I don't think it was ever really any better. I should dig it out again some day. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Gadget said:
    I have a Danelectro chorus somewhere which, I think, cost me £15. It thinks it's the FAB although I'm not too sure. Bought something more expensive after but I don't think it was ever really any better. I should dig it out again some day. 
    I remember a pro guitarist friend of mine trying it and he was really impressed, over and above some more expensive options. It won't knock a top-end boutique chorus off the board, but it certainly punches well above its price tag.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Ive got two Dano chorus pedals (the Blue Cool Cat version)! One failed so I bought another to replace it before the next weekend gig. I then took the first one apart and a multipin connector had come apart!. So I have two. One on the main board and one loose in the 'Sports Direct' road bag that goes to jams and rehearsals. They just sound musical to my ear and are a bit plug n' play which for my gigging is what I want.
  • I picked up a cool cat chorus for £10 and an 80s ibanez chorus for £10 a stereo chorus csl 1 I think.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom