If I wanted a Gibson Les Paul...

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
And wanted the cheapest one I could get second hand, preferably with binding on the body, what would I be looking for?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited September 2018
    If you aren't fussed about binding, you're looking at a tribute studio or junior model.

With binding, check out classics, trad pro IIs. Not sure if there are options with body binding but no neck binding (except the tributes where the maple cap can look a little like binding).
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited September 2018
    vintage v100pgm lemon drop.. great guitar.. better than any gibson at that price point
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You could probably save a few hundred by getting one with a well repaired headstock break.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    If it *had* to be a Gibson then cheapest with binding would be a secondhand classic or traditional which I've seen sell for around £900ish but these days tend to list around £1k+. The "tributes" have a reveal binding (i.e. the edge of the maple cap isn't painted / stained) which actually looks pretty good, those can be had for around £450ish.

If it doesn't have to say Gibson on it then Tokais / Grecos do pretty much the same job for a lot less.

• johnl said:
    If it *had* to be a Gibson then cheapest with binding would be a secondhand classic or traditional which I've seen sell for around £900ish but these days tend to list around £1k+. The "tributes" have a reveal binding (i.e. the edge of the maple cap isn't painted / stained) which actually looks pretty good, those can be had for around £450ish.

If it doesn't have to say Gibson on it then Tokais / Grecos do pretty much the same job for a lot less.

And Epiphone for even less, and probably with Gibson scribbled somewhere (perhaps on the truss rod cover)
    johnl said:

And Epiphone for even less, and probably with Gibson scribbled somewhere (perhaps on the truss rod cover)
    True - if you can get past the headstock then Epiphone are making some fantastic guitars these days. Also Orville and Orville by Gibson are both very good but pricey these days.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
    I've got an Epi, it's my second one, brilliant guitars, but I'm thinking maybe selling what I've got and see if I can get a gibnee for what I get.  What are the studios like? I see them pop up for not a lot of money but I'd really like a bound Lp, I also see gold tops for not a lot too.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2044
    crunchman said:
    You could probably save a few hundred by getting one with a well repaired headstock break.
    This is a good option if you can get a well repaired one  which stays in tune. I sold this 1989 Standard for £650 early this year.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's gorgeous, I would be well happy with something like that, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    or a Tokai Love Rock off Gumtree
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It was a cracker and the buyer was very happy with it. I bought it from guy down south and it left intact but arrived with a head stock break. After insurance claim and repair I broke even selling for £650. Unfortunately I see a lot of people trying to sell guitars with head stock repairs for full price or a couple of hundred off but not sure they sell at that (May be a topic worthy of its own thread but probably been done already). Not everyone has a situation where there is an insurance claim to fall back in either. Anyway point is if you can locate one at the right price it may be worth a punt and prove to be a bargain.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've got a a Tribute and it's pretty underwhelming. 

It's not terrible now that I've changed a few things and had work done on it but considering it was nearly double what I paid for the bernie Marsden, it leaves a bit of a sour taste at how underwhelming it is.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 415
    edited September 2018
    Brion James - Dan Reed Network, played an Epiphone Goldtop on the last tour , good enough for him.
    What sort of budget did you have in mind?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited September 2018
    I’m selling my 90 Standard.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I should have 7 to 8 hundred if I sell the guitars I've got, so I'm really just testing the water to see what I can get for that kind of money.
    Just out of curiosity, the Chinese epis, are they as good as the late Korean ones? 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    CMW335 said:
    robgilmo said:
    It was a cracker and the buyer was very happy with it. I bought it from guy down south and it left intact but arrived with a head stock break. After insurance claim and repair I broke even selling for £650. Unfortunately I see a lot of people trying to sell guitars with head stock repairs for full price or a couple of hundred off but not sure they sell at that (May be a topic worthy of its own thread but probably been done already). Not everyone has a situation where there is an insurance claim to fall back in either. Anyway point is if you can locate one at the right price it may be worth a punt and prove to be a bargain.
    What sort of insurance was that mate?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    robgilmo said:
    I should have 7 to 8 hundred if I sell the guitars I've got, so I'm really just testing the water to see what I can get for that kind of money.
    700-800 is sort of in between the used price points for unbound and bound Les Pauls
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    CMW335 said: 
    This is a good option if you can get a well repaired one  which stays in tune. I sold this 1989 Standard for £650 early this year.
    What pickups did it have?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.