Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

King of tone - my wait is over but...

What's Hot

Comments

• BBBlues said:
    Mines been on my board for around 6 years. Others come and go but the KOT remains.

Some points to consider:

It’s two pedals in one box. At £300 that’s not bad. £400 is pushing it.

Works with all guitars and all amps.

It’s a bluesbreaker circuit. Pushed mids, slightly rolled off bass. You need to like this style to enjoy the KOT.

The boost mode is world class, the others are average. Keep it in boost mode and crank the gain.

It’s not known for heavy OD or distortion, it’s all about the low gain. So don’t expect it to be something it’s not.

I really enjoy it at all volumes.
    I completely agree BBBlues and couldn’t have said it better myself. Love Analogman gear and cant do without a KOT on my board. Highly recommend getting one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    As good as it is, the @ThorpyFX Danish offering is as good if not better and of similar voice.
    Plus, available cheaper, and made here so if there are any issues, (which there won't be) it's easier to resolve. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    I have a clone since 2012 when I got into the list. My name came up and I never had the money or felt the need to order.
    It's probably the only pedal that I haven't took out of my board since. Right now I'm only using the yellow side as a dirty boost but it's the best dirty boost I've ever had.
    I have to open it up to crank the presence trim pot to see if it opens the sound a little more cause it's sounding rather dark...
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    I wrote this on this forum not long ago;

It is really important to dial your amp in correctly when using the King of Tone. If you're not completely happy with how your rig sounds, there's a big chance you won't like the KoT. I wasn't so impressed at first but once I took some time to fiddle with my amp settings and the KoT's internal treble trimpot, I got it!

• We have an in-depth comparison video ready. It’ll be online on Friday 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Something coming out from one of the big boys soon that sounds exactly the same as is much cheaper... only one side though 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140858/wampler-pantheon#latest

???

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool that you had a comparison ready! Will check it out soon.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    The Pantheon sounds great in its own right. Very dynamic sounds, powerful EQ and a ton of gain. I would buy one. but...

... to me, it has little in common with the KoT, other than that they're both ODs / distortions.

I don't like to cry "marketing gimmick!", but it seems to me Wampler are perhaps making an association with a well known classic, expensive, long-waiting-list pedal, in the hope of nabbing a few customers who believe it when they're told "they sound the same".

Just my 2p
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I have to say I feel it's a bit snake oil etc. I'm on the list but I won't be going ahead with one now 18months on
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I started pricing up the high gain options, a white case and insured postage. After tax and import fees it's close to £350.
    I can't pay that kind of money for what it is. It doesn't sound all that special to me on most of the demos. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I started pricing up the high gain options, a white case and insured postage. After tax and import fees it's close to £350.
    I can't pay that kind of money for what it is. It doesn't sound all that special to me on most of the demos. 
    I really don't feel it is @meltedbuzzbox . Only my opinion of course but I'd never spend that kind of money on an OD. Even if I could flip it for more but I'm not into that sort of thing anyway 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold mine after a short while as found it very meh. Used it live and it just didn't really work with either my Plexi or my Lonestar, so I sold it on.

Was playing a Kotzen Tele and a Les Paul with Mules in at the time. Suppose it all depends on what you are after, but for me, it was forgettable at best.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited September 2018
    I guess it’s all down to taste. Mine sounds great with the Big Dipper pups on my Strat. It helps brings out that chimey cranked amp sound when going direct in. There are other, cheaper pedals which achieve that but I see no point in selling.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Love my gold one  and this thread has reminded me to put mine name down for another one so I don’t have to move it between boards.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    A cheaper POT will get you 85% of the way there............the full blown KOT is not really necessary as there are better high gainers
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    Mike comes across as a nice straight forward fellow. They have smallish operation and as you know overdrives do sell. I think they keep the production low and I don't really think the wait list is meant to hype the pedal.

It is indeed a very nice pedal, it's got a very characteristic envelope to the notes which has a sort of constant compression. Marshally in a way. It's a great pedal with any amp in my opinion.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I love vids like these cos I take the lead for the best dialed tones and go off and experiment with the pedals I have to emulate them and often find more tone options to play with. I am not sure but my go-to great sounding everyday pedals don't even total the price of a KOT...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Ok, so £350 (inc options) is expensive for what it is?

What it is, is effectively 2 well voiced, well built OD's in a single box.

Is £175 quid outrageous for a single OD these days? I would argue no, it's increasingly common.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom