Refinish - does it need to be Nitro or Poly?

Hi 

I'm thinking of refinishing an affinity tele body. Being lazy, I was planning to just take off the colour coat down to the base coat/sealed layer that squiers have, and then re-spray over that. 

Can I use Nitro, is it going to stick? Also, does it need to be Nitro, would any spray do the job? I know you can't get coloured poly spray cans, so would it work if I just used a basic coloured spray like Rustoleum (something like painter's touch) then used a poly clear coat over the top to seal it? 

It's not an expensive body/guitar, so I'm really not looking to spend alot of money refinishing it, and the easiest option the better. 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anyone? 

Thanks 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658

the general rule is you can do nitro over poly, but not poly over nitro.... obviously it pays to know what type of poly you are dealing with.

If you are planning a solid colour then you can get away without  stripping too far, just flat it off, fill and damage and key the surface.  You can then use nitro over this

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I have sanded a poly finish, sprayed with a standard can of spray paint and then used halfords poly in a spray can over the top and I was pretty pleased with it.  If I was doing it now I would take off the poly altogether but looks fine leaving it on.
  • WezV said:

the general rule is you can do nitro over poly, but not poly over nitro.... obviously it pays to know what type of poly you are dealing with.

If you are planning a solid colour then you can get away without  stripping too far, just flat it off, fill and damage and key the surface.  You can then use nitro over this

Yes, black. So just sand to flatten, use a sealer/filler, key surface and then spray with nitro. 

Thanks
  • Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    Yup my old Tele was nitro over poly (fullerplast) from the factory so definitely doable!
    My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I've sprayed nitro over poly successfully. Just sanded poly to a matt finish.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Poly colour coats, nitro clear.  Found Poly clear coat too soft, it never really dried.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback