Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone here into jazz?

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Two of the best Jazz albums of all time - Undercurrent and Intermodulation, Bill Evans and Jim Hall - a jazz guitar maestro.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jalapeno said:
    Two of the best Jazz albums of all time - Undercurrent and Intermodulation, Bill Evans and Jim Hall - a jazz guitar maestro.
    Good point, can't leave Jim Hall out. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    yeah, I'm into Jazz.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    Guitar jazz is great for interesting harmonic stuff and virtuosic soloing but IMO you can't beat a sax or trumpet player really blowing :)
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Lenny Breau - the jazz guitarists' jazz guitarist. Finger style jazz like no other, awesome jazz flamenco fusion at times. Amazing left hand technique.

Ollie Halsall - the man Holdsworth copied (Holdsworth used to cite him as an influence in the early days) Three note per string legato phrasing in the mid 60s. There's some footage of the pair of them together in Tempest...mind blowing.

Both complete hard core abusers of anything they could get hold of, both died too young, both forgotten. Both brilliant when they weren't too high....
    Over-blown sax is akin to running finger nails down a blackboard  IMHO

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers guys, all of interest to me. Lenny Breau - totally amazing guitarist. I'd like to find out more about Ollie Halsall, being a Holdsworth fan, I had heard the name, but know very little I admit. Was trying to find the footage of the two together in Tempest that you mention on YouTube, but maybe it's not up there.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Yeah - I can't find it now either. I might have it somewhere.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Radio 2 are doing a series on jazz guitar greats, just heard most of the Charlie Byrd one on my way home from a jam (ooh, get me!).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Will see if I can catch up on that series on iplayer, too bad if I've missed out. Just to mention another of my favourite jazz guitarists - Emily Remler (sadly no longer with us). Influenced by Wes Montgomery, also you hear Pat Martino in there, and others. But I think she really had something of her own, and a strong individual voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mtResdI_o

Fairly sure the Byrd one would be, Pat Metheny next week. I pretty much knew nothing about Charlie before but he had a long and interesting career with elements of blues and classical, US and European jazz in his playing and he was a major figure in bringing latin beats in to mainstream jazz.
  • I don't know as much about jazz as I do about rock & blooze, but there are times when I DO like the noise that it makes

My record collection includes

Kenny Burrell
    Barney Kessel
    Joe Pass
    Django Reinhardt
    Charlie Christian
    Miles Davis
    Charlie Parker
    John Coltrane

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jmaster said:
    it's the blowers and the pianists that do it for me.
    I play piano and guitar and find myself much preferring to listen to jazz saxophonists, trumpet players, bassists and drummers! One day, I WILL learn to play saxophone.
    I harbour the same ambition...then I listen to Sonny Rollins  :)) b-(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    ok, so I have a bit of a shocking confession to make here, but I really like the role of the bass in jazz. I dunno what kind of jazz it is I like, it's stuff like Henry Mancini's pink panther theme, theme from Bullit. There was a number of films from around that time who had quite iconic themes, it's that kind of jazz. Does it have a name? And any major artists in that field I should look at?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Barney said:
    yes i love jazz....been listening to a lot of Tim Miller recently
    Can't get enough of Tim Miller. Have you listened to Ben Monder?
    edited August 2013
    VimFuego said:
    ok, so I have a bit of a shocking confession to make here, but I really like the role of the bass in jazz. I dunno what kind of jazz it is I like, it's stuff like Henry Mancini's pink panther theme, theme from Bullit. There was a number of films from around that time who had quite iconic themes, it's that kind of jazz. Does it have a name? And any major artists in that field I should look at?
    Bullitt theme was written by Lalo Schifrin, his stuff is worth listening to.

I'm listening to Gilad Hekselman Split Life (with Ari Hoenig on drums) right now to kill th background noise in the office.

Feedback
    thanks Jal. So, does that kind of jazz have a genre name? Like, erm (displaying ignorance here) acid jazz or New Orleans type jazz (my dad used to listen to that kind of stuff a lot, think he called it preservation hall)?

• Vim, I'm aware of trad, gipsy, bebop, cool, modern, and free-form jazz ... but there must be as many subclasses of jazz as there are of metal - to the afficionados?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

yeah, I know. Confuses the frick out of me. It's not like that in folk. There you just have folk music. Oh, and gypsy folk of course. Oh, and punk folk. Hmmm, and Celtic folk. And mountain music. And old timey. And prog folk. And fusion folk.

hmmm, don't think I thought that one through...

yeh, jazz double bass excites me a lot more than jazz guitar. I used to have some stuff by ( db virtuoso)Dave Holland as well as a couple of Charlie Mingus things. The contemporary jazz labels like ECM are good for hi fi recordings if you like the sound of instruments as much as what is being played. I don't know how you would categorize things like the Pink Panther theme other than as theme or film music although there is definitely a jazz influence. You also get swing music like Sinatra which is also arranged jazz ie jazz musicians playing what they are told without improvisation. If you hear early Bing Crosby records he was crooning over jazz guitar music and later on over big band jazz/swing and the orchestras. Some of the Hollywood musicals would have had this kind of jazz influence too - thinking about stuff like Guys and Dolls ( although I can't recall the last time I heard any of it). I guess jazz is the root of most modern ( and by that I guess post WW I)American music that isn't blues ( and pre WWII they would have crossed over massively) or rock'n'roll so it is just 'there'in a massive amount of stuff.