Extra pedals?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I love pedals and often but and sell to change what I have. However I almost always only have one of each type. If I want a new reverb, I sell the one I have and buy another rather than just getting a second. I now have 2 ODs and a boost and 2 tremolos and can't decide if I should sell or just keep to change if I get board.

Am I alone? Is seems lots of people have a big stash of pedals to choose from when they fancy a change.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Yeah I always tend to have one of each as I'm too stupid with money to own more than one type of pedal. If I see a delay or reverb I really like for example, then I have to sell the one I already have to budget for it.
  • I keep a few things that are truly unique and are great studio tools but generally for playing I just use the best I have and sell the rest. 
    I've been down the excessive pedal hoardage path and it just leads to dusty pedals in a cupboard
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I used to have several examples of each effect, which was useful as I liked to swap things around. Recently though I had a Damascus moment and sold over 50 pedals. Now I have one of each of the main flavours, two delays and three comps.  The change was bought about in part by a change in instruments - Tele to 125T and Rick 4001 to fretless bass. Neither of the current choices seem to work with lots of pedals and I like hearing the sound of the uneffected instrument.

I'm feeling quite virtuous at the minute but time will tell.
  • Same here. Although I could do with a mini delay pedal set up with short slapback. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I elrecently went from around a dozen pedals, with two or three dealy and reverbs to four pedals in total. The sound of my amp has seriously improved! 

Got the Strymon Dig which is a really versatile delay with two separaye delays on it though. That and a Flint seems to be quite enough for some wonder. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    DrJazzTap said:
    Same here. Although I could do with a mini delay pedal set up with short slapback. 
    Kokko Timer is a good choice for that. £27
  • I just keep what I like. 

Once a year (or so) I review what I have and get rid of anything I don’t like any more. 

I try not to analyse it beyond that
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have been seeking out various tones, so I have a few things of the same basic type. Although normally I punt them on fairly soon if they aren't quite right. Currently I have 2 reverbs, but only until I sell the other one. 

Where I did get a bit out of control is building them from kits or PCBs. I have about 6 drive pedals that I am unlikely to use, but their resale value is basically zero. I expect I'll just strip them down and use them to build other types of pedals (i.e. use the cases, switches, jacks, etc.)
  • Aside from the financial issue in buying pedals, I find it a chore to change my pedalboard around...most of the time a new pedal is a slightly different size to the previous so it means remaking patch cables etx
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I tend to try and basically stick to the space I have on the board - which can prove difficult but is quite good for discipline. And often, as others have done, I tend to be replacing something else with a better version so the original is sold. Also helps financially too. But like the above post, I find changing it around a chore too. The ultimate goal is to have the right pedals and stick to them but as we know, that never happens.

I'm hoping to soon add a small wah and a Digitech Drop to the board, so my DOD Carcosa is up for sale as it's not getting much use, and possibly my Blues Driver too. That'll clear enough space for those two and leave a bit of wiggle room if I eventually find a Data Corrupter and/or Enzo for the right prices. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs