Stacking or individual drive pedal per sound?

gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
edited September 2018 in FX
Do you guys like to keep stacking drive pedals from yourleast gained up sound to your most lethal or do you have different pedals to cover each job that are turned on and off individually?

For instance, I seen that Shaun Tubbs fellow talking about having a particular pedal just for his neck pick up 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have only recently discovered that people put drive into drive into drive, and to be honest it blew my mind.

I've always assumed you used one drive pedal, and depending how much drive you wanted to either ramped it up or got a heavier one. I have an overdrive, and a fuzz which are switched on and off accordingly.

Running both at the same time has opened up new sounds, but none I really like!

Having pedals for pickups is another new one on me, but fair play if it works for you!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    I don't gig now, but I did use to have 2 x Pro Co Rats on my board - one set up for crunch rhythm with less gain, one for more gain + more vol boost - So with the amp set up with minimal gain and using the vol pot on the guitar I could cover most gain levels as required
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I have the option of three drives on my main board.
    Blackstar HTdrive, Arion SOD-1, Boss OD-1
    I use them as individual units mostly rising in agression/drive but will couple them occasionally for some artistic flair or if the volume gain is inadequate for a lead break.
    The SOD-1 is my favorite always sits nice in the mix for lead breaks tone. The HTdrive is increadably versatile, I was doing a week in the pit for a show once and lost the multi power supply so used a dedicated P/S for the Blackstar and had time to redial various amounts of gain and tone to suit all the songs in the show. Very nice and usable unit.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I have two, a cheap mild Akai distortion and an insane old Maxon SD9. I play them together for fun, the sound is ridiculous, sustain for minutes, but would never use it in an actual song.
    My 63 Ac30 Top Boost's vibrato channel was changed to an overdrive channel somehow by Alan Pyne a million years ago, incredible natural O/D sound, but like all AC30s too bloody loud. 
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I stack them. OD before the two fuzzes to push them when I want to. Don't really use the two fuzzes together though as one is an octave below.

In my madder/genius days, I'd use two delays stacked up as well - one running directly into the other, set at different times.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2018
    I use several OD/boost pedals and have a couple of different degrees of overdrive that I can use individually or stack together and they're shown below. I will use all 3 at once but the individual gains are set low-med and these particular pedals work really well together and floor noise is minimal nor is it overkill.

The following will give me anything from Tom Petty, Stones, SRV to classic rock and big singing AOR 80s lead tones. The Fulldrive 1 is very new but given it has nicer mids and is more versatile than the 808, it might be knocking it off my board, but they all still work well together and I have a Keeley Compressor first in the chain which is always on:-

(LOW) Keeley TS-808 > Fulltone Fulldrive 1 (new) > Xotic EP Boost > Fulltone OCD (MED-HIGH)
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    edited September 2018
    Love stacking.
    I have fuzz (octafuzz) -> mid gain drive (Warm OD from Boss MS-3) -> dirty boost (KoT clone yellow side)
    Used to have the boost before the mid gain (Caline Orange Burst) and a clean boost at the end for volume but I found a drive I like with the dirty boost after it, cause I had to take the Caline out of the board.
    But I have a hard time driving neck humbuckers so I use a TS (Boss MS-3) for that only and sometimes push the sound a little bit more with a almost clean booster after it (Mosky Silver Horse).
  • Kitsune said:
    I stack them. OD before the two fuzzes to push them when I want to. Don't really use the two fuzzes together though as one is an octave below.

In my madder/genius days, I'd use two delays stacked up as well - one running directly into the other, set at different times.

The Guitarist in my Friend's band uses two delays sometimes, there is one song where each chord is strummed once and left to sustain, he keeps one delay on but switches on the second after the initial attack of the note, it sounds pretty cool.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I stack.

My main rhythm sound is an OCD clone I built.  I also have a Tubescreamer(ish) pedal that I built.  Both of those are set relatively low gain to give me two different flavours of overdrive.  I can stack them together to get more gain and increase the mids from the OCD clone.  I also have a Microamp clone in front of both of them to push either/both harder. 

The icing on the cake is a Thorpy Fallout Cloud that I use mainly for lead tones.  If I really want to make that cut through, I can push it with the TS type.

• The other guitarist in my band stacks and it jsut gets super noisy and feedbacky. Cant remember the exact order but he does something like zakk wyld overdrive -> blues driver -> precision driver -> crunchy amp

The precision drive has a gate and he also has a separate standalone gate and it still has this horrible hi pitched feedback thing going on.

Im more of a get it right at source guy and get 99% of my needs from a multi-channel valve amp and then maybe throw a TS model in front for the odd occasion I want to tighten up the low end (quite rare since my amp has excellent low end already).

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
    I like to use my volume control so when I am forced to change sounds with my feet I like to have a lot of shades available, especially for covers work

SP-> ODR1 standard sound
    SP-> RC -> ODR1 a bit more
    SP-> RC side 2 -> lead
    SP clean
    SP-> EP clean lead
    BB -> ODR1 rock sound 
    Zendrive -> ODR1 bluesy lead
    SP or RC -> BB -> more rock
    Zendrive -> BB -> ODR-1 rock lead
    SP-> RC -> Zendrive -> BB -> ODR1 big lead

I don’t have the gain very high on any of the pedals.

i know it sounds like a lot but it makes sense to me and for gigs where I need a lot of flavours I always have another stage to add if I feel I need it

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    I stacked and used individually when I had pedals.

Zoom UltraFuzz into ValveSporker into Liquid Sunshine.

All on at the same time was excellent.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."