Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New favourite Chinese..

What's Hot
Not this one:
See the source image

But Kung Po chicken. Had it for the first time last night, and can't believe how good it was. Why have I never ventured to that section of the menu before??
See the source image

Although I think I will have to try the Pork next time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Tough choice, but I think the top one just shades it..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    No joke, I looked at the food pic once, I scrolled up and looked at the top pic 3 times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Beef with ginger and spring onion is my current takeaway of choice. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Ah Humans... Great series :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Kung Po Chicken. Buddhist monk's mixed veg and sticky chilli beef...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I lurve szechuan cooking :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Has anyone ever ordered the omelette from a Chinese take away menu??  Who are these people?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited September 2018
    Has anyone ever ordered the omelette from a Chinese take away menu??  Who are these people?
    English people  ;)
  • I've never got on with Chinese food. Always feel bloated afterwards. But Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese is the best food out there (but I do have a massive weakness for Indian and Mexican)
  • We got a takeaway menu through the letterbox at the wwekwnd (I'm in London)  and they had Salt & Pepper chips on the menu.

I've seen that in Liverpool chippies but never down here.  Once or twice I've even taken a picture into a local Chinese who do salt & pepper other stuff, but they wouldn't do the chips for me.

Thanks @quarky, the thread has reminded me to try them this weekend. :/
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    OMG - Salt & Pepper chips are amazing!  Why chippies don’t do them all across the country is a crime!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Has anyone ever ordered the omelette from a Chinese take away menu??  Who are these people?
    English people  ;)
    this was a throwback to the 70s when Chinese takaways first appeared in numbers on every high street. In fact they were nearly all from Hong Kong as Britsh Passporters when rules were relaxed and from the mass influx of Vietnamese Boat People. Older people were suspicious, so to satisfy the nay-sayers and not lose out on a family meal sale they offered steak and chips with peas and omelettes as 'identifiable' fodder!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    What else are you going to eat with your chips?

57Deluxe said:
    English people  ;)
    this was a throwback to the 70s when Chinese takaways first appeared in numbers on every high street. In fact they were nearly all from Hong Kong as Britsh Passporters when rules were relaxed and from the mass influx of Vietnamese Boat People. Older people were suspicious, so to satisfy the nay-sayers and not lose out on a family meal sale they offered steak and chips with peas and omelettes as 'identifiable' fodder!
    lol, my parents have a Chinese, he makes omelette too.....

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    All chinese restaurants I've ever seen adapt to local area and tastes, they know full well half the people in britain  consider chicken balls and chips as a chinese meal.

Had a chinese meal in a portugal once where there was pretty much only seafood on the menu.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    I used to live in HK in the 1980s.......many restaurants of all regional varieties although predominantly Cantonese.When coming to UK I was amazed at some of the food being offered in Take-Away and regional "Chinese" restaurants as it was nothing whatsoever like anything I was used to. I had never heard of Chow Mein which seems to be an American invention loosely based on the Hokkien Char Koay Teow that you would see in Malaysia.
     Obviously there is more authenticity in Gerrard Street and in general these days but it is still very different.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited September 2018
    Hunan Red Pork for me. Utterly addictive. I like fairly simple Chinese generally.

http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/12/-chairman-maos-redcooked-pork-belly-recipe-hong-shao-rou.html

I can cook quite a lot of Chinese food, but really I'm a Japanese food veteran.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I used to live in HK in the 1980s.......many restaurants of all regional varieties although predominantly Cantonese.When coming to UK I was amazed at some of the food being offered in Take-Away and regional "Chinese" restaurants as it was nothing whatsoever like anything I was used to. I had never heard of Chow Mein which seems to be an American invention loosely based on the Hokkien Char Koay Teow that you would see in Malaysia.
     Obviously there is more authenticity in Gerrard Street and in general these days but it is still very different.
    My feeling is that the majority of the UK population would not eat what my mum cooks.

Steamed fish on the bone?

Fried Lettuce?

Perserved cabbage with pork?

Bitter melon?

These are the things that is normal to me, there is never anything Sweet & Sour, there are nothing deep fried eaten at home and we don't eat fried rice at home either.  
  • Dominic said:

I walked through there and Lisle Street yesterday on my way to See Woo (Chinese Supermarket) for the first time in a while.  It seemed a few restaurants have closed down and are waiting for new developers.  

I hope Chinatown doesn't go the way of other parts of that area and lose a lot of the things which made it interesting. 

I've heard HK's food is different to other Chinese cities but my experiences of the food in HK was always very enjoyable.