SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Good jazz box

What's Hot
smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
I have a bit of cash burning a hole and would like a good jazz box. I'm thinking probably a Gibson - maybe an ES-175 (a 'vintage' one ideally - I tried one from 2010 the other day and it was frankly poor) - or even an L5.

Any takers?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    PM sent
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Replied...
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    PM'd
    @ESchap - replied again...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    If that ^^^^ doesn't work out, look at Eastman, Peerless, Ibanez Artcore archtops.

I went to NYC for my 50th with the intention of blagging a s/h ES175, ended up getting a Roger Sadowsky Jim Hall Special.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Yes, archtops are a whole 'nother world, aren't they? I first felt drawn when I started playing more harmony-focused and jazzy music on my 335. I had a thought that an ES-175 might be good for this and played a couple that I really liked - I was initially surprised that they could actually be light and resonant rather than heavy and dark as I think I'd unconsciously assumed. And one that I played I really liked - so expressive. But after I started thinking more seriously about getting one, I have played (what I thought were) some very poor ones as well - a horrible modern one from 2010 and a sixties one with a laughably thin neck. Probably typical Gibson variety, eh? But the previous ones I liked kept me hankering after one. Did you get disillusioned with the 175s you tried on your NY trip? Or did the Sadowsky come at you as a surprise and trump them? I'm sure I know almost nothing about archtops, but my feeling is that an ES-175 seems a good place to start.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited April 2014
    Heritage make some nice Archtops - the equivalent to a 175 is a Heritage 575. I bought one secondhand for very reasonable money.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited April 2014

I was going to buy a 175, until I tried one.  A neck like a baseball bat, and didn't feel right for me

When I realised that Pat Metheny gave up playing his 175, and has since then only played an Ibanez Pm120 or Pm100, I thought.... I don't normally buy signature guitars but.. he's played them as his main instrument for at least 25 years I think

I got a PM120, it is excellent, and I have never been much interested in a 175 since

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Heritage make some nice Archtops - the equivalent to a 175 is a Heritage 575. I bought one secondhand for very reasonable money.

That's certainly a beauty!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    A bit of cash!?

>:D<
    Those Heritage H575s are lovely - carved top rather than laminated

Feedback
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    If you're a new Jazz player, an inexpensive used Ibanez Artcore or the Ibanez Joe Pass will be fine. If you want a high quality Jazz box, buy my 1949 L4C or Benedetto Guild for £4000.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    saw a Joe pass JP20 at sounds great for £750 odd, sold a while back
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited April 2014
    Alternatively, try playing a new Epiphone Joe Pass in a shop, they're less expensive, but still good guitars for the money.

I'm only recommending Guitars that I've owned or played extensively.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    The new Aria range of D'Aquisto are nice

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    For what they are, they are very expensive. Nice though.

A new Aria D'Aquisto costs over £2k, in comparison a new Benedetto Bravo (from Bob direct) is £3k ($4.5k) - these D'Aquistos are a lot of money for a handmade Chinese copy.

I have a Wayne's World "One Day it WILL be mine. Oh yes ! It will be mine" fixation about getting an original D'Aquisto - mainly the dream involves winning the lottery or kidney donation ! ;)

Feedback