Ipad recording. What apps do you use

What's Hot
I recorded this recently

Listen to Trace the Constellations by Sticky fingers #np on #SoundCloud

The ipad is great for trying out ideas. I am interested in what apps people use. I have not tried many plug ins and thought I might buy a few

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    The only one I have tried is GarageBand 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    i have Cubasis, which I find is fine as a scratchpad. My most used music app though is the Moog Model 15, synched to Ableton on my laptop via Link - I just record the headphone out into the laptop. The Animoog keyboard option for the M15 is awesome - you can select which notes are on the keyboard so you never have to play a wrong note and can control aftertouch by sliding your finger around. Very expressive. I understand that I should be able to record many instances of M15 into Cubasis via Audiobus, but somehow it just seems like a faff. Other apps that get some use are Samplr for FSU and recently Lemur which turns the iPad into a MIDI control surface, connected to the rest of my gear by an iConnect MIDI 2+.

While there are loads of great music apps for the iPad, I find it much more limited in terms of processing power and file management than a laptop, and only slightly more portable.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Voice Record is good if you just want to get something down. It’s free too - with upgrade options.
  • Moog model sounds interesting

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Just purchased Auria, seems like a good product. Will be using it with the XR18...
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Midi guitar 2 tracks pretty good and will pair up nicely with most iOS synths, lots of fun!

The fab filter plug ins in Auria Pro are top notch for about twenty quid ish each.

AUM is great for combining lots of apps together and Audioshare is well worth the asking price too.

Amp sims like AmpliTube,ToneStack,Biasfx are all good and even the free Tonebridge is pretty good.

Try the Audiobus forum for more info ,but beware, the iOS music scene is a rabbit hole, easy to spend a lot of money on apps even though most are exceptionally cheap compared to desktop software.

• On just the iPad? GarageBand 99% of the time.

If I just want to capture some live sound (band practice, etc) then I'll use the iPhone and either Music Memos (the Apple freebie) or the exceptionally decent Multitrack DAW (inexpensive, also runs on the iPad). If I'm sitting at home trying to put some ideas together, then GarageBand on the iPad works well. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Moog model sounds interesting

The Model 15 is indeed a thing of beauty and wonder. Ideal way to get your head around modular synthesis, and it sounds really really good.

Animoog is a different beast - tbh, I haven;'t got to grips with it.

Generally I find synths on an ipad to be universally good, but I don't use it for recording, prefer the PC for that.

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Snap said:
    Moog model sounds interesting

The Model 15 is indeed a thing of beauty and wonder. Ideal way to get your head around modular synthesis, and it sounds really really good.

Animoog is a different beast - tbh, I haven;'t got to grips with it.

Generally I find synths on an ipad to be universally good, but I don't use it for recording, prefer the PC for that.

This is my take on it too.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have Cubasis on an iPad. Works fine.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I find recording on iPad unsatisfying (editing sucks) but it is an amazing interface for some things.
    Borderlands granular synthesis app is incredibly cool.

I love being able to control mic pre/mixer levels of the DAW with it too.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

I use the Ipad as another instrument, albeit one with loads of synth options. Usually I just connect via headphone socket and into a jack socket on the interface. I've yet to experiment with midi syncing.

This one is something done using only ipad synths, but recorded in a DAW on a PC. From memory, the synths were Alchemy, Sunrizer and maybe a piano from garageband.

Alchemy was a fanstastic synth, so good, I've still kept a first gen ipad air that has the  full synth pack on it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom