Upgrade on miniamp

TwangyTwangy Frets: 0
I' m using a Fender Strat through a 3 watt mini amp,good though it is for my purposes,it obviously has its limitations.,especially when playing chords.Can anyone advise on an upgrade please?
ns
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Budget?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72231
    Do you mean one of those little basic solid-state mini-amps with about a 3" speaker? Or something more like the Vox Mini3 with modelling and effects?

The little Vox is actually quite good... although I think the Mini5 is better, even if you don't want the built-in drum machine.

Unless you really want to jump in at the deep end, I would probably go for a decent modelling amp in about the 10-15W power range with an 8" speaker (like whatever version of the AD15 Vox are doing now, or the smallest Line 6) or a pair of more 'hi-fi' ones (like a Yamaha THR10), depending on your budget.

That will be a big step up from what you've got and probably make it easier to decide what type of sounds you want, if you don't know already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the advice.My current amp is a Blackstar Fly.
    Budget wise I can be flexible.
    Twangy said:
    Thanks for the advice.My current amp is a Blackstar Fly.
    In that case any amp apart from an Orange Micro Terror will be a step up :).

Do you like the basic tone of it? (Excluding the limitation of it being too small.) If so one of the Blackstar ID models or a smaller HT series valve amp would be much better.

If you don’t, do you still want something with that sort of ‘hi-fi home amp’ format? If so one of the Yamaha THR series is usually the most popular choice, but there’s also the Vox Adio if you don’t mind something that looks like a handbag...

If you would prefer a more conventional guitar amp then the choice gets mind-boggling very quickly.

What type of music do you like and play? For example if you’re into metal/doom/stoner type stuff with down-tuned guitars, Vox will not be your best bet!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited September 2018
    Twangy said:
    Thanks for the advice.My current amp is a Blackstar Fly.
    Budget wise I can be flexible.
    Vox AC15 or Fender Hot rod deluxe then
    Comparatively, they will sound like angel song vs your current amp.
  • How loud do you want to go? Blackstar HT1 is quite good.
  • Thanks again for the advice.The sort of stuff I like to play is bluesy.I only seem to play using neck and middle pick up position.
    Are you looking for a 'home only' amp - like the Fly but bigger (with 'hi-fi' type speakers), or a more conventional guitar amp that you could also use for jams or practicing with a band (with 'guitar amp' type speaker/s), or something that will cover both?

• I'm looking for home only amp .Volume is not an issue and I don't envisage playing with anyone else,so something like the fly but with improved tone,
    Twangy said:
    I'm looking for home only amp .Volume is not an issue and I don't envisage playing with anyone else,so something like the fly but with improved tone,
    In that case I would suggest trying a Yamaha THR10 - either the original or the C, if you prefer lower-gain bluesy sounds - a Vox Adio (the handbag-looking one, but sounds good) or one of the smaller Vox, Fender or Roland 'normal' guitar amps with about an 8" or 10" speaker. There's also the Boss Katana which seems to get a lot of rave reviews, although I haven't tried one personally. My own amp is a Vox AD15VT with an upgraded speaker currently.

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Vox AC4HW combo