Kemper speakers

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16090
I know the ideal is FRFR
Is a fairly neutral cab .......ie a 2X12 Zilla loaded with Greenbacks going to sound considerably different or even generally noticeable?
I appreciate they will colour the sound their own flavour to some degree 
The question really is .........If you have a decent cab already and a powered Kemper then is it really worth laying out another chunk to get an FRFR ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You’ll get varying opinions here but my preferred way is studio monitors at home and then real cab on stage for monitoring/feedback and Kemper mains to FOH.

I should add that doing it this way the studio monitor/FOH tone is most important to me. I really don’t care if the real cab is “accurate” or not, but it normally sounds good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You’ll get varying opinions here but my preferred way is studio monitors at home and then real cab on stage for monitoring/feedback and Kemper mains to FOH.
    Real wisdom here....

I wish I’d have know this/listened to advice before hand; it wouldve saved a LOT of time, money and effort !

For home use, get some small FRFR Studio monitors. For example, Genelec 8010s and 8020 are superb.

For live, a dedicated FRFR cab maybe, or a ‘real’ cab. For me, the Red Sound LG12 became the winner. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    how much are the red sound ?
  • Not cheap Im afraid mate, but Ive owned both the passive and active ones 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/red_sound_rs_lg12_active.htm
  • I've used power amps and cabs, the return of a valve combo and recently a Red Sound/dxr10 combo with my Kemper and all of them sound good in their own way.

Some people will argue that using a cab will homogenise your sound because e.g. An AC30 through a Marshall cab won't sound correct. I take the view that, if it sounds good, it is good. Also, I don't want my profiles veering all over the place when I'm playing live, I'd rather they sounded consistent, so I use a limited set of IR's for live gigs. This keeps my FOH sound consistent (and my backline if I'm using the frfr rig). Recording is a different matter, of course.

If you already have the cab then try it and see if it works for you before spending more cash.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited October 2018
    I’m not a fan of FRFR. The feel and tone of a cab is preferential to me. 

I‘m the same. Studio monitors at home and a cab live. 

Although I use an amp now.