Snap Dragon Travel Bass

What's Hot
Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85

I tried one of these at the Olympia Show at the weekend.

https://www.snap-dragon-guitars.co.uk/snap-dragon-e-bass-4-p.asp

Found the scale length and neck profile easy to get along with but the very light weight and small body size felt quite odd. The folding / locking mechanism seemed impressively robust.

If I was doing the same amount of travelling with work that I was doing a couple of years ago I'd have no hesitation about getting one immediately but I'm trying to convince myself that I'd get enough use out of it now. However having just had train delay compensation from Thameslink come through I think I might well end up placing an order soon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Interesting solution to a problem from which few suffer. (Bass register instruments tend to be big. Get over it, folks!) My biggest worry concerns the placement of the single pickup. 

I would probably expect more for my three hundred and seventy nine quid.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Interesting solution to a problem from which few suffer. (Bass register instruments tend to be big. Get over it, folks!)
    A few weeks ago that would have been perfect for me! But I can play something as big as a Mustang Bass again now...

Although I think its purpose is more as a travel instrument. If it goes into an overhead locker then it's more travel-able even than something like a Steinberger cricket bat.

My biggest worry concerns the placement of the single pickup.
    Looks - in relative terms - to be about where the bridge pickup on a certain other bass is, so I'm sure it will be just fine ;).

I would probably expect more for my three hundred and seventy nine quid.
    I think it's a fair price for a limited-production instrument with an innovative feature. It's less than half what that Eastwood Pocket thing is...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    I have a Snap Dragon guitar. Great concept, especially for the purpose for which I bought it, great customer service however the execution is lacking.

We kinda sorta got there in the end though.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I played one last weekend at the BassChat SE Gearfest.
    Very comfortable and playable bass. Tone was decent but I found the output a little low. What surprised me was the weight - it felt quite heavy but I don't know if that was my eyes and brain playing tricks with me at its diminutive size. Looking at their website, they're 2.8kg (6.1lbs) and made from Timboo, which is compressed bamboo fibres.

I loved how it folded at tension in half and when you snapped it back in place, it didn't really need tuning.

I'd consider a used one at the right price, not just as travel bass or for the convenience at home etc, but as a second bass and that's what a couple of the BassChatters said, and that's how the owner used it.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:
    Looks - in relative terms - to be about where the bridge pickup on a certain other bass is, so I'm sure it will be just fine ;)
    Sounds like a job for the Oil City Bridgehouse R-style bass pickup.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    Funkfingers said:
    Looks - in relative terms - to be about where the bridge pickup on a certain other bass is, so I'm sure it will be just fine ;)
    Sounds like a job for the Oil City Bridgehouse R-style bass pickup.
    If someone wants to get me a snap dragon travel bass I'd happily try it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom