Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Jools back tonight - sadly Paul Weller returns !

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Hattigol said: no
    The show takes a lot of stick and frankly deserves much of it, too much of a vanity project for Jools. 

But I think people who imagine that once it's terminated (and I understand there's a serious threat of that) it will be replaced by something better are mistaken.  Other attempts at live music shows over its lifetime have failed to take off, and I suspect only brand loyalty is giving this one viewing figures that make its continuation just about defensible.

My guess is that as far as a live showcase for bands at the more "serious" end of the rock/pop spectrum the real choice is Jools or nothing.  And it's better than nothing.
    The format is fine. Just really really REALLY needs a new presenter. And a producer who doesn't feel that the viewing public necessarily wants to watch the likes of a trombone quintet from Senegal.
    Hey, why the hate? PS. We're actually a trombone quartet with one French horn.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it could be so much better than it is. Same old guests and bands. Weller, the edgy New York garage punk outfit, the token African tribal singers and Elbow...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    edited October 2018
    I think it could be so much better than it is. Same old guests and bands. Weller, the edgy New York garage punk outfit, the token African tribal singers and Elbow...
    Lately it seems to be more
    Solo acoustic guitarist 
    Grime artist 
    Young band who look like they’ve only just played a gig in the school hall
    Old geezer who lost the best of his voice 20 years ago
    Essex bloke with a laptop and a willowy girl singer
    Paul Weller. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Long as Weller ain't on it I'm happy. That guy could bore a statue! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Long as Weller ain't on it I'm happy. That guy could bore a statue! 
    Has any one noticed how old Weller’s looking these days? Genuinely shocked when I saw his latest album cover - not a good advert for smoking....
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Has any one noticed how old Weller’s looking these days? Genuinely shocked when I saw his latest album cover - not a good advert for smoking, heavy drinking and drug taking....
    Fixed.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    So, on the show tomorrow..........

Joe Bonamassa, I'm looking forward to that...................(ducks for cover)

and
    Yep, Paul Weller FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Gonna put it out there. Stanley road and heavy soul are wicked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Ossyrocks said:

and
    I watched it last Tuesday just for Toots and that was a bit depressing. At least if JoBo is reduced to pub singer status I won't mind so much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Yes they are, but I was put off getting them for years by his Later appearances. He’s much better on record.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited October 2018
    Has any one noticed how old Weller’s looking these days? Genuinely shocked when I saw his latest album cover - not a good advert for smoking....

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Iamnobody said:
    Has any one noticed how old Weller’s looking these days? Genuinely shocked when I saw his latest album cover - not a good advert for smoking, heavy drinking and drug taking....
    Fixed.

Having Kids will do that to you  B)
  • Ossyrocks said:

and
    I watched it last Tuesday just for Toots and that was a bit depressing. At least if JoBo is reduced to pub singer status I won't mind so much. 
    Yeah - I echo that - I've seen Toots and band many times and in many circumstances, he's an incredibly enthusiastic performer, bucket loads of charisma and conviction. That certainly wasn't his finest moment.....

I am just going to add that I am a fan of the programme. I cant see an issue with the format - band plays, minimal link, band plays (admittedly the interviews are normally pretty cringe) - but its that no frills approach that has kept show relevant. 

Ive been introduced to many bands and artists thanks to the show and had my opinion changed about countless others (for better and worse) after seeing them do their thing live. Its good that the people tuning in to watch the latest grime MC will also have the opportunity to watch a Ukrainian Bossa nova band and vice versa. Expands horizons and all delivered with minimal bluster or sycophancy from the producers/presenter (comparatively speaking). 

Odvs the white room was better - Mark Ratcliffe is a charismatic and amusing man - Jools less so - but there was very little difference between the shows - perhaps the atmosphere at Jools Holland would be improved by a more present audience. 

Its not like there is a staggering amount of the competition - and its VITAL that we have some live music on TV imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    ICBM said:
    Yes they are, but I was put off getting them for years by his Later appearances. He’s much better on record.
    Absolutely a great period for him - so are Paul Weller and Wild Wood. Following Heavy Soul you’ve got Heliocentric which still a decent album has some class tunes on it.

For me it starts to go wrong from Illumination onwards...

As is Now isn’t redeemed as an album by the couple of standout tracks on it.

After that we’ve got about half a dozen albums and I’d struggle to put one decent album together by lifting tracks from all of them.

I don’t agree he’s better on record though @icbm I think he’s a solid performer live.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Thread title changed accordingly :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    tone1 said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Fixed.

Having Kids will do that to you  B)

He looks like the Art Attack Head, but not as interesting.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    He looks like Dot Cotton ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited October 2018
    Later used to be much more varied. I remember I always used to tune in because there'd always be at least one band I like - even if it wasn't the Senegal Tombonists, Strange Witchy Girl Screaching, or Fecking Awful Indie Band With Every Guitarist Having a Tiny Keyboard.

But the last few years it feels like the same show over and over. It's been a long time since I've looked at the set list and then felt the need to tune in. Got close this evening "oh Joe Bonomassa" then remembered it's several years since I listened to any of my Bonamassa albums. 

I don't think the show is anywhere near as varied as it thinks it is. They should rename it Jo Whiley's iPod. Or Guardian Dinner Party Soundtrack.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I still watch it, tonight's was ok despite the relatively middle of the road stuff.

If it were to go, I'd prefer to see some of the 6music team do something. Maybe Steve Lamacq or Shaun Keaveny (Now that he doesn't have to get up early!) can inject some much needed charisma and some newer talent. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you