Wah better with batteries?

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 947
I'm sure we've all seen/heard the rumours - do Wah pedals sound better with 9V batteries? Would this kind of thing even be relevant with a modern wah like a Boss PW-3? 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Didn't they used to maintain all pedals were better with batteries?

I had a Rocktek Chorus and I was for ever buying batteries. I just bung an adapter in them now 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cheap as chips experiment :)  No idea about the Boss but "in general" wahs don't use much juice.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    A lot of lesser power supplies do not provide a steady output, but batteries do.
    Whether you can tell the difference is something you could try out.
    There was a fashion for battery powered hi-fi amps at one stage too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    The difference is with vintage-type wahs which can be sensitive to the power supply, like (but to a lesser extent than) fuzz pedals, because the power supply's internal resistance is effectively part of the circuit and a higher one (like a battery) will make enough of a difference to change the sound.

A more modern pedal like the Boss will almost certainly not be affected in any way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    @ICBM wins it - is there anything he doesn't know?? Confirmed my suspicions - more applicable to vintage and less likely to be a factor with the Boss. 

Cheers everyone! 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs