Pedalboard Noise - help!

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224

I'm getting so much buzz/hum when I turn on one of my OD pedals (Friedman BE-OD), to the extent where I can't turn it up to a useable level at gigs.  It doesn't happen with lower gain pedals like my D&M Drive though. 

I know a bit of noise is to be expected with an OD once you starts turning the gain up, but this isn't usable at gigging volumes.

I'm using a PedalPower 2+, but I have a total of 10 pedals going into it via a couple of daisy chains.  Could the excessive noise on the OD be partly down to me pushing the power supply to it's limit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    I can't help with the power supply question but I have a very noisy board and an ISP Decimator II sorted it all out straight away.

No discernable loss of tone and crazy quiet no matter what I do with my board. Can't recommend it highly enough!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Try without the daisy chain, use separate connectors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Daisy chains will always introduce some background noise but its highly context-specific and governed by all manner of variables. As a first port of call, just double check that all your patch leads are sound. Then it would make sense to slowly rotate your pedals through the isolated outputs of the PedalPower only. At least that way you can slowly narrow down what combination of pedals might be causing the noise when using daisy chains (they are especially sensitive to causing noise when combining modern digital pedals and older analogue one). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Thanks guys, will give that a go and see how I get on! :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Have you played with the internal trimpot? I found that it needed to be all the way counter clockwise to keep noise bearable 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Check the total mAh output draw vs the power port. I'm not a fan of daisy chaining though I don't use many pedals (just 3 in fact) and have a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior which has never given me any noise issues.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Try moving the PP2+ away from the board as far as cable length will allow, to see if that makes a difference. I know I had noise with mine when in proximity to certain FX.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Check if pedal plugged in and powered on its own causes same level of noise
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Id run it from an isolated power feed or a battery (battery snap with a 2.1m jack is a useful thing to keep in the gig bag anyway) to start with and see if the noise is present.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    edited October 2018
    Hmmm.. So with the guitar into the BE-OD and then into the front of the amp (powering from a separate 9v PSU and not the PedalPower2), the noise is still there

I also reduced the gain on my amp - (it's a Suhr Badger 35, so not a high gain amp) it was set just to the point of breakup, but I've now set it completely clean which has helped slightly.  Reducing the level on the pedal's internal trim pot has also helped a little, but still a touch on the noisy side.

Maybe it's just a quirk with this pedal given how much gain it's capable of putting out?
    edited October 2018
    delorean said:
    Hmmm.. So with the guitar into the BE-OD and then into the front of the amp (powering from a separate 9v PSU and not the PedalPower2), the noise is still there

I also reduced the gain on my amp - (it's a Suhr Badger 35, so not a high gain amp) it was set just to the point of breakup, but I've now set it completely clean which has helped slightly.  Reducing the level on the pedal's internal trim pot has also helped a little, but still a touch on the noisy side.

Maybe it's just a quirk with this pedal given how much gain it's capable of putting out?
    I have this pedal and it's not excessively noisy, so I think you do have a problem elsewhere in your setup.

Try swapping the two guitar leads out one at a time first, to make sure it's not the leads.

Try a different guitar if you can.

Are the amp and PSU plugged into the same outlet (they should be)?
    Good thinking - I haven't tried swapping leads yet - will have a go.  I was also only using 1 guitar for testing.

The amp was plugged in straight into the wall and the PSU was plugged into an extension lead running into the same outlet.

Thanks for the help with this, it's been driving me mad!

delorean said:
    Good thinking - I haven't tried swapping leads yet - will have a go.  I was also only using 1 guitar for testing.

The amp was plugged in straight into the wall and the PSU was plugged into an extension lead running into the same outlet.

Thanks for the help with this, it's been driving me mad!

No problem - probably something simple like a dodgy connector or something :)