Amp buzzing/crackling when electrical appliances are on

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
My amplifier, a marshal master reverb 30, is buzzing when electrical things are on in the next room (hair dryers ect) It also buzzes when my phone is on charge and I touch the sides (metal part) of my phone. I'm worried in case it could make unwanted noises at a gig if there's any appliances near.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    You need to check that the amp and it’s power cable are earthed correctly, and if they are then you may need to have your house wiring checked for the same reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    ICBM said:
    You need to check that the amp and it’s power cable are earthed correctly, and if they are then you may need to have your house wiring checked for the same reason.
    Is it serious if the house isn’t earthed correctly?
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:
    Arse, I'm having the same problem in my music room (backend of the detached garage converted). I wondered if it might be the wiring in the garage as I experience it with nothing but an amp switched on but the same gear is fine inside the house.

Edit: Suppose running an extension lead from the house would be the easiest way to test if the garage's wiring is at fault.

Edit 2: sorry for the thread hijack @Calum13 :)
    edited October 2018
    paganskins said:

Arse, I'm having the same problem in my music room (backend of the detached garage converted). I wondered if it might be the wiring in the garage as I experience it with nothing but an amp switched on but the same gear is fine inside the house.
    Yes, very likely. If the problem doesn't happen in the house it's probably the garage wiring.

thebreeze said:

Is it serious if the house isn’t earthed correctly?
    It's certainly not good. It's not as dangerous as in the old days because a lot of modern appliances are double-insulated and don't need an earth, and modern distribution boxes are RCD, but it's not really safe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    An electric shock can kill you so it is best to get the wiring checked out by an electrician. ASAP
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    I'm going to check if it happens when the appliances are plugged into a different socket as the wall my amp is plugged into is directly opposite to the one the appliances are usually in. Also should it be making a noise when I turn it off or should I just turn the sound down to resolve this. I'm sort of new to guitar  :)
    If the problem goes away when the guitar volume is turned right down then it's probably not an earthing problem, although it still could be. In that case it's more likely to be an issue with the guitar shielding.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    If the problem goes away when the guitar volume is turned right down then it's probably not an earthing problem, although it still could be. In that case it's more likely to be an issue with the guitar shielding.
    It's still there when the guitar volume is on so it's probably an earthing problem.
    Calum13 said:

It's still there when the guitar volume is on so it's probably an earthing problem.
    No, is it there when the guitar volume is turned *off*?

ICBM said:
    Calum13 said:

No, is it there when the guitar volume is turned *off*?
    I meant off, my mistake
    Ah, OK :).

Sounds like an earthing problem then.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Ah, OK :).

Sounds like an earthing problem then.
    I'll get it checked, thanks.