JJ valves - any good?

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
edited October 2018 in Amps
So, as my Marshall DSL40C has been a bit iffy recently and I can't replicate the problem (as reported here), I think the only solution is to replace all the valves.

I've done a bit of research and JJs seem a decent choice for both 12AX7s and EL34s - they're a well known make and a good price.

Are they decent quality or should I go for something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

There's not much else to go for, because your other choices are Sovtek (owns all the other familiar brands) or Shuguang (who makes all the chinese tubes).

My opinion on the Shuguang is changing as long as they've went through some form of testing and selection process e.g. TAD.

JJ are fine IME. Watford's Harma (also like TAD except mostly russian) are also fine.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    I really don't like the sound of their 12AX7s, but all their valves are at least reliable.

Personally I would hold fire on replacing the valves unless/until the problem repeats itself - you certainly don't need to replace all the preamp valves, since if the fault is one of those it will just be that one. A pair of EL34s and one 12AX7 will be enough.

I listened to the video and it does sound more like a power valve than a preamp valve fault (if it's a valve), but it could possibly have just been a bad contact with the socket on the valve you pulled.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I really don't like them, esp their pre amp valves, which are most important in affecting sound, but loads of people seem happy with them.  Good old used valves can still be found for reasonable money.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

It's a matter of taste.  I generally prefer their preamp valves to the Russian EHX - they seem to sound a bit warmer.  I know others prefer the EHX.

Some amps seem to respond differently as well.  Some might sound better with a JJ, while others might prefer a Russian or Chinese valve.

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Cheers chaps, I might just go for some new EL34s and give the valve sockets a clean with a bit of Servisol then.
    edited October 2018

If you're gona go for some 34's try and find some SED winged =C=. there should still be some around at good prices.

Not the Svetlana ones that just say Svetlana on them, the ones with the actual =C= logo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Their preamp valves always sound a little dull to me compared to the Russian and Chinese offerings.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    just for info, a lot of my customers are asking for gold pin JJ ecc83s in V1, and I have to say if you have an amp that is very sharp / ice-picky at the front end (typically a Marshall without the bright cap mod)  they do calm things down a lot.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    In my experience they're fine, I do like RFT ecc83s in marshalls though, if you can find those for a good price.
    @TBZ, RFT's are some of my favourite
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Used JJ's for years in my Dr Z amps, no problems at all. Get them from a trustworthy supplier though.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited October 2018
    I put a full set (power and preamp) of hand tested JJ tubes in my Laney Cub 12R with balanced EL84s, and they sound very good with lovely bell like cleans and great crunch tones.  A world apart from the stock Chinese Ruby tubes.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I think I'lI go with JJ E34Ls, supposedly slightly better quality than the JJ E34 and takes a bit of treble off Marshalls which is a bonus for me!
    I'll probably get a matched quad so when I replace the first pair I'll not need to take the amp to a tech to get it re-biased again. ;)
    Thanks again all!