Strings and capos

What's Hot
Looking for recommendations on strings and capos please. I’m mainly an electric player but spending more and more time on acoustic as I’m really getting interested in fingerpicking styles. I’ve mainly used Elixirs in the past and clueless as to the different types of materials available. Capo wise I’d like something with a small footprint but dunno what else I need to consider. 

So so please can I have some recommendations on your favourite strings/capos chaps ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use D'addario Phosphor Bronze 11-52's on my acoustics, lovely bright crisp tone esp when just restrung. There's other ones out there I wanna try but I've just stuck with that cos I seem to like it.

Capo wise I use the Jim Dunlop trigger one, clamps straight on no bs with clips or things to wind. Holds in tune well too so less time spent retuning when you've put it on.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    I like Kyser capos a lot but wouldn't say they were small footprint. Maybe a Shubb or, if you're feeling fancy, a G7?
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690

This thread has quite a lot of thoughts on strings, worth a read

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112616/acoustic-strings-a-journey#latest

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    Both subjects seem to be intensely personal things, as far as I can work out. And to some extent guitar-specific as well.

For years on my budget Takamine I've used (and still do) Martin Phosphor Bronze. They suit it well, and last OK.  Stuck a set on my Furch when the supplied strings died, and they sounded awful, so that now gets Elixir Nanowebs.

For capos I like the trigger style ones: Kyser, Jum Dunlop etc.  I got a G7 because everyone raves about them, but found it no quicker to use, and also just a teeny-tiny bit too short on the nose to be confident of accurately covering the whole fingerboard in a hurry. But it's great on electrics with a slightly narrower fretboard.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Newtone Masterclass strings, DR Rares, or of the more easily available brands, D'Addario EJs.

Kyser.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Two things annoy me about a capo: it’s weight and whether it gets in the way of my left hand. A lot of people don’t like a Shubb, but I use it because it’s small and light. I actually have two, set up for different neck sizes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks for the reply’s fellas - gonna look into everything mentioned
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    I have a bit of a thing for nice capos - it's a weakness that I've given up trying to explain to decent people - but that being said I think from a functional perspective the Planet Waves/NS capo is as good as it gets. That's as long as you don't want to be able to use it one handed for tricks which really only leaves you with the Kyser type....but I've never wanted to be able to do that so badly that I was happy to have what looked like a cross between a clothes peg and a giant intrauterine device stuck to my guitar.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Shubb (even though I though they were archaic  before I tried one) & Newtone masterclass 12s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    I have a bit of a thing for nice capos - it's a weakness that I've given up trying to explain to decent people - but that being said I think from a functional perspective the Planet Waves/NS capo is as good as it gets. That's as long as you don't want to be able to use it one handed for tricks which really only leaves you with the Kyser type....but I've never wanted to be able to do that so badly that I was happy to have what looked like a cross between a clothes peg and a giant intrauterine device stuck to my guitar.....

D'Addarios PB 11-52.'s

Had many different capos over the years, never been truly happy with any of them, so will check out the Planet Waves/NS

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    There is another "one handed for tricks" capo aside from the death-grip Kyser, which I hate – the Planet Waves Tri-Action. 

I use Shubbs mostly, but the Tri-Action is adjustable AND quick-flippable, at the cost of sticking out at the back quite a bit. 

Actually I liked the old Planet Waves Dual-Action (the one with the little folding dog-leg mechanism) slightly better, but you can't find them anymore. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    The string thread posted above started as my way of recording the trial-and-error and real-time thoughts on the different sets. I've found the Martin SP Lifespans are the favourites for me, but the key thing that's come out of it is how much it's worth trying lots of different things because each type works better or worse on different guitars, and only your own ears can tell you if you like them.

As for capos, I like Shubb for acoustic, and G7th for electric
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I greatly prefer Elixirs to uncoated strings, which sound horribly over bright for a few days, ok for a bit, then horribly dull

Some capos press the strings down too much, and knock the tuning out much more than other capos,
    aim to try a capo, with a decent tuner in hand before you buy
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Strings are really personal and unique to playing style, guitar and personal preference. You asked about materials - the two main wrappings are phosphor bronze and 80/20 bronze. PB tend to be warmer. 80/20 are brighter. There are also more speciality wrappings like Monel which Martin use on their Retro strings.

Gauge makes a big difference - and not always in a predictable way. Heavier strings make some guitars louder and fuller but can make other guitars clam up through restricting top movement ( somebody will be along to correct me on my technical analysis but that's the gist of it). 

So a load of variable at play. Just buy some and try them. Many strings are jangly for the first few days, so whatever you try give them time to settle before judging.

I have 4 acoustics - on two I am currently using Martin Phosphor bronze SP 13s, on one I am using Martin Retro 13s and one has Ernie Ball Earthwood PB 13s. 

On capos - if you want the Rolls Royce of capos then for half a Strymon you can get an Elliott (thanks @Lewy for that tip). 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    I greatly prefer Elixirs to uncoated strings, which sound horribly over bright for a few days, ok for a bit, then horribly dull
    I detest the feel and sound of Elixirs - they sound horrible from the start and stay sounding horrible, feel horrible and then the coating frays and irritates me...

But it is a very personal thing :).

Some capos press the strings down too much, and knock the tuning out much more than other capos
    Part of it is fitting the capo in the right place - right along the back edge of the fret crown, so it can't pull the strings down and sharp.

So for me it's much better to have a capo which is sprung and self-adjusting, than one which is rigid and needs to be set to just the right tension like a Shubb or G7.

This is also a very personal thing - there's really no right answer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    ICBM said:
    I detest the feel and sound of Elixirs - they sound horrible from the start and stay sounding horrible, feel horrible and then the coating frays and irritates me...

I only tried coated strings once - they left dandruff all over my guitar. 

• Thanks all - very useful info all round 
  • I don’t like coated strings...but on my wee Martin 00 I prefer Martin lifespan SPs, which are coated.

I like the G7th performance II capos but not the G7th Nashville, which pulls my Martin sharp regardless of positioning. With the performance I find it dead easy to get the tension right, though I’m not a heavy capo user.