ॐ - On Lacquer, and related forms of protection

What's Hot
Hey you crazy cats!

In the midst of all the serial flipperations and inspired by the whole Eric Clapton/George Harrison thing I've scored me one of these uber groovy Hare Krishna stamps to attach to the back of the headstock of my definite, once-in-a-lifetime-and-never-to-be-flipped-keeper.

So far, so good.  What I could do with a little advice on is how best to reinforce/strengthen/waterproof it.  My initial thought was a big can of clear lacquer from Halfords, although it seems an awful lot of gunk for one little job.  Any other ideas?  Might a couple of coats of the fair Mrs Moans' nail varnish do the trick?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Separate one stamp from the sheet. Experiment with sealing it in a clear coat of some description.

For the "true historic" GH/EC appearance, the stamp probably needs kippering in the fumes of exotic combustibles.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8793
    Separate one stamp from the sheet. Experiment with sealing it in a clear coat of some description.

For the "true historic" GH/EC appearance, the stamp probably needs kippering in the fumes of exotic combustibles.

So I'll burn some joss sticks under it first, yeah?  (I only have the one stamp :( )
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If I had only one shot at it, Id go with the Lacquer, chances are it will come in handy for something else eventually (Although by then you will have forgotten where it is!)
    VERY light coats is the way to go to avoid the possibility of dissolving the ink....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I wouldn't advise the Halfords stuff. Yes it's a bit cheaper and convenient to collect from them but I found it didn't cover or cure very well.
    gary_mac said:
    I wouldn't advise the Halfords stuff. Yes it's a bit cheaper and convenient to collect from them but I found it didn't cover or cure very well.
    What would work, if I may?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    JerkMoans said:
    gary_mac said:
    I wouldn't advise the Halfords stuff. Yes it's a bit cheaper and convenient to collect from them but I found it didn't cover or cure very well.
    What would work, if I may?
    My experiences don't mirror yours, Ive used loads of Halfords lacquer from sealing decals to whole body finish with never an issue...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Water down some pva, put a smear of it on the headstock, stick stamp down, wipe excess off... job jobbed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Don't they normally work be applying a moist tongue to the rear?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Don't they normally work be applying a moist tongue to the rear?
    I shall defer to your more worldly experience in such matters. :D 

In other news, am planning @poopot’s watered down PVA trick to stick the thing (1960s/70s gum having somewhat faded) before considering sealant/protection options.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer