I only ever do the same things...how do I get better?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 2825
    @Godlykepower, apologies my friend for reading things in your post that were not there.  Glad to hear that you are enjoying your guitar.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Rocker said:
    @Godlykepower, apologies my friend for reading things in your post that were not there.  Glad to hear that you are enjoying your guitar.
    No need to apologise at all! Thank you for taking the time to reply!
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 82
    Chords:

- CAGED
    - Major Triads
    - Major Triads + 7
    - Major Triads + 2
    - Major Triads + 6
    - Major Triads + 4
    - Minor Triads
    - Minor Triads + 7
    - Minor Triads + 2
    - Minor Triads + 6
    - Minor Triads + 4
    - Chords Inversions 

Scales: 

- Ionian mode
    - Aeolian mode
    - Mixolydian mode
    - 3nps - three notes per string system

Here you go, you are set for at least a year.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 482
    antonyiv said:
    Chords:

- CAGED
    - Major Triads
    - Major Triads + 7
    - Major Triads + 2
    - Major Triads + 6
    - Major Triads + 4
    - Minor Triads
    - Minor Triads + 7
    - Minor Triads + 2
    - Minor Triads + 6
    - Minor Triads + 4
    - Chords Inversions 

Scales: 

- Ionian mode
    - Aeolian mode
    - Mixolydian mode

that in a nutshell is why I'm perfectly happy cranking out Whole Lotta Love and Highway to Hell instead.

each to their own of course, it's interesting how players look for different things from their learning experiences.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 379
    Justin Sandercoe has it all laid out in a comprehensive and structured way and most of his content, not all but most, is free.

Justin's beginner course is not just for brand new players ... those that have played for a little while but with 'unstructured' learning can and have learned incredibly valuable skills and basic techniques that will be of massive benefit later. Work through the beginner course online - using the skills you have to fast track - but spend time on it and make sure you have all those techniques and don't cheat yourself by missing out on something fundamental for your skill-set.

https://www.justinguitar.com/categories/1-beginner-guitar-course

Then, practice songs ... learn songs learn songs learn songs ... lots of them. In different styles / genres as suggested already.

https://www.justinguitar.com/songs

Then make sure your strumming techniques are good with a lot of different patterns.

https://www.justinguitar.com/categories/2-intermediate-foundations

Then pick a style module.

https://www.justinguitar.com/categories/3-intermediate-modules

Then go advanced.

https://www.justinguitar.com/categories/4-advanced-modules

The better you are at the basics the better you will be so make sure you take your time to get things right. You may need to unlearn and relearn some ong-lived 'bad' habits.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 7370
    As a largely self taught and limited guitarist I'll just say what ( some of ) the cleverer people have said - transcribe and/ or repertoire. 
    These can be as intimidating as you want them to be. Working out the three chords in a three chord song or an entire Vai instrumental or some happy point in-between. 

Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 7370
    viz said:
    @viz I’ve not tried it, but I have looked it up. It sounds a bit unpleasant to me.
    It’s like stilton. It’s gross at first but once you get used to it it’s delicious. And you wanted to try something different, give it a go!
    It also moves your bowels if you overdo it. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2825
    Simple does not always equate to Easy.

Take the 12 bar blues for example. Chords are I, IV, V.  A7, D7, E7 in the key of A. Practice these so called simple chords until you really have them down. Play them in the dark just to confirm that you have them. Do the same for the other keys. Remember simple is not always easy. No guitarist was ever run off the stage for (correctly) playing simple chords or no bassist for playing (simple) root notes.  Walk before you try to run. Our (guitarists) problem is that we want to sprint before we have learned to jog. This applies to any skill you might need.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 838
    antonyiv said:
    Chords:

- CAGED
    - Major Triads
    - Major Triads + 7
    - Major Triads + 2
    - Major Triads + 6
    - Major Triads + 4
    - Minor Triads
    - Minor Triads + 7
    - Minor Triads + 2
    - Minor Triads + 6
    - Minor Triads + 4
    - Chords Inversions 

Scales: 

- Ionian mode
    - Aeolian mode
    - Mixolydian mode

Nah, sus2 and sus4 are all you need to rock it up.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @close2u Thank you for that, my friend! I saw this site years ago, but couldn’t remember the name!
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 379
    @close2u Thank you for that, my friend! I saw this site years ago, but couldn’t remember the name!
    You're welcome. :)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 1630
    When you play how do you use that time? Its easy to sit down and noodle, or play a song that you know, but you have to set some time aside for learning, its no fun sitting there playing a scale for an hour to try and nail it but its time you have set aside for learning, so time management is very important, a time for fun playing and a separate time for learning. I try and get an hour a night but If Im lucky thats three or four nights a week, but I am setting aside time for learning rather than having fun playing, after all you cant have fun playing if you haven't learned anything.

Also , because like me you are a home player, take extra consideration about what you actually want to learn , no point in learning a song if the only fun you get from it is 30 seconds of solo playing. And because we dont have a band to practice with we do have to be careful about the songs we learn and the eventual goals we chase.

I started off like you learning rock and blues, more rock though, but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that playing ACDC or Skynyrd isnt doing it for me, if I played in a covers band then yes, that would be great but I dont, so I am moving into Jazz type riffs, something I can sit down and improvise and with a bit of luck keep it new and fresh. My goal is not to be reliant on songs that I have learned, more just to be able improvise and maybe drift in and out of different melody's as I plod along. Im not out to impress anyone or take requests. 

A looper sounds like a great idea, I use a free program from Tracktion , https://www.tracktion.com/ to record from a mic onto my laptop, its not as good as a looper and I have only really started using it but I like it so far. I think a looper will be Santas contribution to my musical adventure this year.