Khabib v McGregor

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Who ya got? 

Having watched the open workouts today looks like McGregor is in Khabib's head to me (all the Irish language stuff).

I'm thinking McGregor wins. His hands must have improved massively from the Floyd fight and his kicking and probing is superb. His takedown defence is excellent and his Jiu Jitsu sweeps are really high level. 

Khabib is clearly an amazing wrestler but his CV is not on McGregor's level so he is untried against this type of opponent and a fight of this magnitude. We know McGregor thrives on the big stage.

McGregor inside the distance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If McGregor's got better groundwork than he had against Diaz then I agree.  If not, Khabib will take him apart. 

I think it all depends on who manages to control the tempo, they'll get the win.  I don't think it'll go the distance.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    If McGregor's got better groundwork than he had against Diaz then I agree.  If not, Khabib will take him apart. 

I think it all depends on who manages to control the tempo, they'll get the win.  I don't think it'll go the distance.
    Did you see that sweep he used in the 2nd fight against Diaz? You don't do that to a BJJ Black Belt without knowing what you're doing. He was also really good against the cage standing. 

If he lands early and hurts Khabib, like he did Alvarez, that might stop him.in his tracks. The only way I can see Khabib winning it outworking McGregor and grinding him down.

Fascinating matchup.
  • Fuengi said:
    If McGregor's got better groundwork than he had against Diaz then I agree.  If not, Khabib will take him apart. 

Did you see that sweep he used in the 2nd fight against Diaz? You don't do that to a BJJ Black Belt without knowing what you're doing. He was also really good against the cage standing. 

If he lands early and hurts Khabib, like he did Alvarez, that might stop him.in his tracks. The only way I can see Khabib winning it outworking McGregor and grinding him down.

Fascinating matchup.
    Totally agree.  And I hope it'll be a great fight.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Connor will knock him sparko.

Is it available to watch in UK?
    RMJ said:
    Connor will knock him sparko.

Is it available to watch in UK?
    On BT Sport but it's a 5am job. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Hmmm. Good boxing card on BT sport Saturday night too.....
  • McGregor by KO in 1st or 2nd or Khabib by decision.
    Interesting matchup indeed. I will wake up early for this for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Khabib is currently the bookies favourite.  I guess part of that is due to Conor not having fought in MMA for almost 2 years (November 2016)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    I fucking hate Conor McGregor. He’s a classless cunt. A proper piece of shit. 

I sincerely hope Khabib beats him, but I bet he doesn’t. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • McGregor by KO in 1st or 2nd or Khabib by decision.
    Interesting matchup indeed. I will wake up early for this for sure.
    This. 
    I can't see Conor winning a war. 
    Khabib is the worst possible match up for him. The chain wrestling style & heavy top game are horrible to deal with (& Conor has a somewhat suspect gas tank). 
    That said, Conors precision, timing & use of range are second to none. This allied to Khabibs willingness to take a shot to close distance means I think there's a very real chance of a knockout- I've repeatedly picked against CM and been wrong repeatedly.

Plus Celtic are at home against St Johnstone & we all know what that means! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited October 2018
    When I first heard it was on I was certain Khabib would win it and quickly, but the more I look at it the more I'm not sure. I think 2 rounds is the most we'll see, but I don't feel confident calling it.  If Khabib takes Conor down more than twice I think it's gonna be too much for Conor to survive, assuming he makes it back to his feet at all, but it's all about whether Conor lands that left early.  Can't see Khabib storming into Conor like he normally does with his opponents, he's too wary, I think Conor has done a fantastic job with the mind games (although it was cringeworthy in places) - I think he's a lot smarter than people realise and has laid a lot of the groundwork for this fight already, before they even get into the octagon. I'm sure he's trained hard enough to be the best he can be for this, after all, he doesn't need the money. Feels like a real grudge fight, even with the typical marketing bullshit in place. Looking forward to it.  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I honestly don’t know. 

Khabib is  a great wrestler, Conor’s good usually at distance control. There’s a saying in jiu jitsu/ wrestling circles that “you can beat anyone if you make them tired, fatigue makes cowards of all of us”. 

The longer this fight goes on the better khabibs chances. I don’t think Conor has a decent ground game but he does have decent takedown defence. 

Khabib’s what 26-0 but the calibre of his opponents has to be question, he went 5 rounds with  Al aliquonta as a very last minute replacement for a decision win and Conor is head and shoulders above Al’s skill level. 

That said though Conor’s been out the cage for nearly two years and given his pale appearances and demeanour it would look like he’s enjoyed a little too much of the devils dandruff. 

I’ll place a wager on Conor to win I think. 
    I don't put too much faith in Khabib's unbeaten record. If you've seen his fight with Gleison Tibau you'll know the only three people on the planet who thought he won that fight were the judges.

The reports coming out of his gym are perhaps more impressive, Daniel Cormier and Luke Rockold both rave about his ability, it will be interesting to see it put to a real test. Rafael Dos Anjos aside there are no very top tier fighters on his record.

Contrast that with McGregor who claims wins over Dustin Poirier, Max Holloway, Jose Aldo, Nate Diaz, Eddie Alvarez and Chad Mendez, that is six names more impressive than any on Khabib's list.     
  • It is an intriguing fight and I am in the same boat as most. It could be an early knock out for McGregor or he will get dry humped for several uncomfortable rounds until Khabib gets the tko.

I actually think Ferguson vs Pettis will be a great fight. I'm probably more intrigued by that. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Well they both made weight so at least bar injury it’s a championship fight. 
    grungebob said:
    Khabib looked like death warmed up on the scales! 
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    He did yeah. However one of the first to weigh in so maybe has the best chance of full recovery? It’s crazy though , he walks around at 200lbs usually!! That’s one hell of a cut. 
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    He did yeah. However one of the first to weigh in so maybe has the best chance of full recovery? It’s crazy though , he walks around at 200lbs usually!! That’s one hell of a cut. 
    That is mad. What will he weigh by fight time? 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    It is an intriguing fight and I am in the same boat as most. It could be an early knock out for McGregor or he will get dry humped for several uncomfortable rounds until Khabib gets the tko.

I actually think Ferguson vs Pettis will be a great fight. I'm probably more intrigued by that. 
    https://youtu.be/AmJzlCvDsgM

Tony Ferguson definitely has a few screws loose. I can't work out if he's really intelligent or borderline retarded. 

Conor McGregor's demeanor during this week reminds me of the first Diaz fight. I hope he's got his cardio sorted as nothing would be less edifying than Khabib chasing him around the octogon for three and a half rounds. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom