Khabib v McGregor

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Incidentally, I find the Ferguson v Pettis match a bit odd but I guess he was just there as a back up in case Khabib missed weight. 

Not to say Pettis can't win, but it would be a huge shock. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    edited October 2018
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Well they both made weight so at least bar injury it’s a championship fight. 
    Khabib looked like death warmed up on the scales! 
    He did yeah. However one of the first to weigh in so maybe has the best chance of full recovery? It’s crazy though , he walks around at 200lbs usually!! That’s one hell of a cut. 
    That is mad. What will he weigh by fight time? 
    It’s thought both of them will be around 170 ish come fight time.  Can’t remember if Nevada do it but in California fighters are only allowed to shed 10% of their body weight for a weight cut, they get weighed a few weeks before hand. 

Bisping used to walk around at 205 and fight at 180 so for khabib to have been 200 non competition is crazy. He’s missed weight before but he turned up to his training camp already down at 170 so he’s took it seriously this time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two things that don't make sense to me in combat sports:

1. Secret scoring. No other sport does this, why not have an open scoring system that shows the results of each round. 

2. Weight cutting. Everyone agrees a fighter should fight at a healthy weight, so why not weigh in right before the match? Literally as they step in the ring / cage, that way you know two guys of the same weight are competing. It also avoids putting the body through massive distress of weigjt cutting right before combat. 
  • If you did "time of fight" weigh ins you'd inevitably have fighters showing up to fight dehydrated & thus risking serious brain injury. 

Personally I prefer the suggestion of a fighter passport- every time they're tested/go for a medical they weigh in & its recorded. A fighter is then not permitted to fight at less than 80% (or whatever arbitrary figure you prefer) of their "walk around" weight. 

It might encourage fighters to stay in shape & not balloon- Hatton undoubtedly shortened/damaged his career in this way .

Khabib struggles to make 155lbs, but the next class is 170lbs. As someone who also fights at these weights (with and without cutting respectively) I can say from experience there is a HUGE difference between the two. There's talk of a 165lb division (Conor Vs GSP anyone?) To narrow the gap. 

The scoring thing is (I believe) to stop a fighter KNOWING they can coast the final round of they win the first two or three. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320

I think it’s One championship organisation that effectively does what you’re talking about. Ben Askren was on Joe Rogan podcast awhile back taking about how they regularly come to weigh you and you’re not allowed to differ more than 10% otherwise you have to either move up or down a weight class. 

Makes sense to me, you could combine it with the USADA visits. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 980
    edited October 2018

Khabib struggles to make 155lbs, but the next class is 170lbs. 
    Seems strange that there isn't more weight classes, like in boxing.

Anyway, I won't be staying up to watch it tonight as I'm not a big MMA fan tbh.  I didn't even stay up for Golovkin v Canelo either, but will check the result first thing in the morning when I wake up.
  • duotone said:

Anyway, I won't be staying up to watch it tonight as I'm not a big MMA fan tbh.  I didn't even stay up for Golovkin v Canelo either, but will check the result first thing in the morning when I wake up.
    The fight is pretty much 1st thing in the morning. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 980
    duotone said:

The fight is pretty much 1st thing in the morning. 
    3am-ish, I will give it a miss.
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    If I was a betting man I would put it all on Khabib. I just don't see Conor finishing him inside two rounds and he's going to have to before the mauling sets in. Granted a sweaty opponent is harder to take down in the later rounds but McGregor will fade as time goes on.
  • I think the worst of it is that I'll not get to watch it early tomorrow as it's sprog 2's birthday, and although I'll try my best to avoid finding out what happened (no twitter, facebook etc) I'm sure I'll inadvertently hear the result.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    randerson said:
    If I was a betting man I would put it all on Khabib. I just don't see Conor finishing him inside two rounds and he's going to have to before the mauling sets in. Granted a sweaty opponent is harder to take down in the later rounds but McGregor will fade as time goes on.
    Khabib's stand up is much worse than McGregor's ground game.

Can Khabib stop McGregor from landing? Only if he takes him down IMO.

Can McGregor stop Khabib's takedowns? Yes, he sprawls well and is good against the fence. 

If McGregor catches Khabib on the way in with a fist or a leg Khabib is toast. 

If Khabib is able to take McGregor down at will then cardio plays a role, and it's Khabib all night. 

I love that MMA has so many variables if technique and skill. 

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Do UFC main cards usually run to time? Debating whether to set alarm for 3am or not
    I'm.my experience it's likely to be 4am - 5am but depending on the prior fights going the distance.
  • RMJ said:
    Do UFC main cards usually run to time? Debating whether to set alarm for 3am or not
    Usually. 3am is safe I guess - main card should start around that time. I don't think that the fight itself will start until 4 at least.
  • Going well so far.  Thought Lewis was a goner in that one but he turned it around.  Can’t wait for the main event!
  • Nobody else drunk enough to be posting about this on here now, eh? Figures  ;)
  • I'm drunk and here :-)

Lewis's postmatch interview was more entertaining than the fight itself. Waiting for a co-main.
  • Wow that Ferguson fight. Great stuff. I cant watch competirive stuff and remain neutral so i have to pick a side. Picked Conor so i am getting my Irish on with Guinness aplenty plus rum n cokes to keep me awake. After that last fight i feel like picking up my Les Paul but thatd probably be a bad idea haha this time of night
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Well that was interesting  
  • Well that was interesting  
    Yup. The reaction on my FB feed is hilarious.