Boutique Plexi style amps

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
What are people’s favourites?

I’m just interested in the various interpretations of the Marshall rock sound or is going for an actual Marshall, old or re-issue a good shout. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you like the Marshall sound, get a Marshall amp. Original JMP’s and JCM800’s don’t go for huge amounts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Brunetti Pleximan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Friedman Smallbox.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I'm in the 'just buy a Marshall' camp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited October 2018
    look at Ceriatone as well as the UK/US builders
    Everyone forgets it, but Ceriatone are probably the largest boutique workshop, they build everything by hand
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Chrisp86,

when im thinking the Marshall sound I think a 4x12 & green backs go along way for that. In terms of amp:

Friedman
    Fuchs
    Cornell Plexi 
    Thorpy would recommend his vintage  hiwatt
    Orange can be quite interesting 
    Then there’s the Marshall Astoria Custom 

I lean more towards Komet, Dr Z , 633eng or Bartel 

Also check Johan Segborns yt channel 

HTH

• Friedman or Bogner
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Rift amps does an awesome plexi. I tried it and I was knocked out by it. Just wasn't what I was after really at this time but maybe the future :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited October 2018
    I picked up a Ceriatone 2204 recently with a massive OT and it sounds amazing. Also it goes up to 11 so it's one louder. Affordable too, not boutique or brand prices
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    You can’t go wrong with buying a Marshall. Jtm45, jcm800, plexi, all are great and all readily available secondhand. As for boutique, rift will build you something very special... uk based. In the USA.... metropoulous are world renowned... but very pricey. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited October 2018
    Worth trying out an Origin if you don't want the high gain plexi thing. Not saying it's going to be the same quality as a boutique/handwired offering but features wise it has everything you'd want a modern plexi to have (imo) and definitely gives you those early Marshall tones. Power scaling that actually sounds good, fx loop, gain boost and the tilt control is easier than jumping channels. To my ears through a greenback cab it sounds like a JTM45 with a bit more gain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Another shout for the Brunetti Pleximan........great Amp.........if it had a Friedman label on it there would be a £3000 price ticket next to it !
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited October 2018
    Fender Super Reverb+TS Pedal+Les Paul+LOUD
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited October 2018
    There's been a couple of 70s marshall for sale here in the forum around £900. I'd go for that. If you really want the best, there Germino or One Merren Audios (not sure if he still builds them) would be it.

I didn't know Chris at Rift built plexis, I like how his builds look. And he's part of this forum.
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Talking of british built amps, are MJW active again? A few of their Marshall inspired circuits sounded excellent to my ears
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I have had dozens of Marshalls, from original plexi JTM’s right through to late 70’s master volumes. They are great, but they are LOUD if you want to be in the sweet spot. 

In these days of sensible volumes I use a 1974X. It’s got a really satisfying plexi breakup but doesn’t push the windows out. It is still a beast of an amp at smaller gigs though, and I have never had to mic it up.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Chester said:
    Talking of british built amps, are MJW active again? A few of their Marshall inspired circuits sounded excellent to my ears
    Yes.
    And thanks! :)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    I recently bought a used Victory Sheriff 22 from ThorpyFX.  Excellent Plexi sounds at a volume that won't shake out your fillings.  Very dynamic and responsive.  I'm loving it.  If you're after something bigger, then I'm sure its big brother (44 I think?) would sound just as good.