CCR half speed vinyl collection 2018

sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1298
Someone talk me out of buying this please.

I don't even have a turntable!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Half speed? Best make sure you have a turntable that has 45 on it then :)

Buy it if you want. You may already have the music. I buy my stuff in multiples in different formats if I like it enough.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I got the 2014 box set, not half speed mastered but sounds good. Presume this is a 50th anniversary thing. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1298
    I don't know what half speed mastering is.  I just thought this looked great, and CCR were a huge part of me finally picking a guitar up.
    £170.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    sinbaadi said:
    I don't know what half speed mastering is.  I just thought this looked great, and CCR were a huge part of me finally picking a guitar up.
    £170.
    Its one of these fetish tags to get the vinyl renewal buyins chattering, akin to 180gm vinyl.

I believe its supposed to improve the sound quality overall.
    sinbaadi said:
    £170.
    It just means that the acetate that is then used to form the mould that presses the records is cut at half the normal playback speed (16 2/3 rpm for a normal LP which plays back at 33 1/3 rpm) from a source also running at half speed. The point of doing it at half speed is it supposedly makes a more accurate copy. Since both the source and the acetate are running at half speed, when the pressed record is played back at normal speed the music is at normal speed.

Worryingly that box set makes no mention of what the source is - from that I deduce it is not the original master tapes - very likely given their age. Often reissued vinyl is mastered from copies of the master tapes. Sometimes copies of the copies. In some cases it is remastered from existing vinyl!
    I got this one, again complete studio albums - it was £60 when I got it. Price is a bit more optimistic now. http://amzn.eu/d/7RSwDZH

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020