Soldering query

hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
Before I close everything up I just wanted to check if this is ok. I'm testing my soldering for continuity and I'm getting the 'beep' from my multimeter on both shield and tip. However, the shield has a reading of 0.01 but my tip is saying 0.05 does this suggest one is not as good connection as the other or is it too smaller figure to worry about? Maybe a question for @ICBM ?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I presume your meter does not have a continuity mode and you are testing in resistance mode which is why you are getting those readings - they are both fine - just showing that there is slightly more resistance through the circuit than you are going to ground which is expected.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    It's on the wifi symbol on the multimeter which is the right mode?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    It's on the wifi symbol on the multimeter which is the right mode?
    Yup, that's the right mode - continuity beep mode. Can't remember off hand if my meter gives a resistance reading in continuity mode which is why I asked. Some cheap meters I think don't have a continuity mode - you just test in resistance mode and look for it not being open circuit - i had thought that was what you were doing. In any case it will be fine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Before I close everything up I just wanted to check if this is ok. I'm testing my soldering for continuity and I'm getting the 'beep' from my multimeter on both shield and tip. However, the shield has a reading of 0.01 but my tip is saying 0.05 does this suggest one is not as good connection as the other or is it too smaller figure to worry about? Maybe a question for @ICBM ?
    Sounds like the core has a slightly higher resistance than the shield, which is normal - they're both so close to zero it means both are soldered correctly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Great thanks @Gagaryn ;
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

Even the best digital meters give inaccurate readings for anything about 1 Ohm. If you short the probes the residual reading is usually not less than 0.7R and even that is "pressure sensitive".

I had occasion to measure resistances of an Ohm or less with some precision and used a special four wire test meter, it was quite expensive I think.

So yes, if the cables BEEP! they are ok.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

Even the best digital meters give inaccurate readings for anything about 1 Ohm. If you short the probes the residual reading is usually not less than 0.7R and even that is "pressure sensitive".

I had occasion to measure resistances of an Ohm or less with some precision and used a special four wire test meter, it was quite expensive I think.

So yes, if the cables BEEP! they are ok.

Dave.

Awesome thanks again guys