An idea for another challenge.

morning peeps... An idea came to me whilst in the bath last night, but im not gonna tell you that one... but i did have another idea later on!.

the “chinese whispers collaboration challenge”

basic idea would be... 1st person comes up with a 3-4 minute “song” and provides the Bass and Drum track... 2nd person then adds a guitar track... 3rd person adds anither guitar... 4th person does the solo, 5th person records vocals etc etc.

the result of all that can then be used for the following months mixing challenge...

thoughts please chaps and chappettes!...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sounds good to me .. worth a try ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Yep I'd be up for that, notwithstanding that for whichever part needed doing there would be better placed people than I to do it :open_mouth: 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    That’s a really good idea. Count me in. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I'd be up for that
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It sort of naturally limits it to 4-5 participants though, no?

I’d say you want a sort of expanding tree - a drum beat laid, then a selection of people put out say 4-5 bass lines to it, then people choose one and add a rhythm line, meaning you’ve now got say 10 or so permutations, and so on - vote on the best end product and then use that for the mix challenge? That feels like it would allow a lot more participants and potentially create a load of different and interesting end points...
  • It sort of naturally limits it to 4-5 participants though, no?

I’d say you want a sort of expanding tree - a drum beat laid, then a selection of people put out say 4-5 bass lines to it, then people choose one and add a rhythm line, meaning you’ve now got say 10 or so permutations, and so on - vote on the best end product and then use that for the mix challenge? That feels like it would allow a lot more participants and potentially create a load of different and interesting end points...
    Spreading out like a virus, I like it
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098

Spreading out like a virus, I like it
    Ok, been thinking about this some more. 

For the first one we will go with the original plan. It does limit the number of folk that can take part but let’s see if it works first!

ill come up with a bass and drum track this week and start a thread... will work out the logistics of it all as well!
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2018

Nice. Basement Jaxx did something like that for their song Power 2 the People. They uploaded the structure on an app with some recording / editing software and invited people to contribute stems; they then released a mashup of them. It was amazing how many different versions they got and how you could make so many different styles out of one basic structure. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    poopot said:

Ok been thinking about this some more. 

For the first one we will go with the original plan. It does limit the number of folk that can take part but let’s see if it works first!

ill come up with a bass and drum track this week and start a thread... will work out the logistics of it all as well!

I think that's a good idea.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited October 2018
    I'm definitely in of you need me, whichever format you chose. As a fan of game theory I'll be happy to contribute vocals or keys, as I suspect they'll be less desirable to contribute than the guitar parts (and I'm really rubbish at guitar, compared to only a bit rubbish at the other two)
  • It involves programming drum tracks so count me in.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ