Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Young numpties

What's Hot
dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
One hour and forty five minutes I have so far sat and watched/laughed at two young numpties attempt to change a tyre on one of their cars oustide mine.

They have only just figured out that stamping on a tyre iron from a 9 o'clock position is far more effective than pulling from a 3 o'clock position!

They may be there for some time yet but I’m enjoying my wine too much to pop out and give some old man advice :-)

(well, 42 is no doubt old to them) 
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Credit where credit is due though, at least they're having a crack at it! 

Most young people would be baffled at the concept of changing a wheel, nevermind changing a tyre.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, changing over to their spare wheel is what I meant, removing and changing a tyre would be a whole new level of amusement!

They are still at it.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Just seems a bit cuntish really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    Smug curtain twitcher

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I always find its best not to offer any advice or assistance to people who’re struggling - primarily because I enjoy feeling superior....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I blame the parents...

Actually no I don’t. I learnt to do all that shit myself because I had to. No doubt making a few mistakes along the way.

If only someone with experience could have helped out now and again...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7742

I've got a friend who finds such things almost impossible, I got called once because he'd got the wheel nuts off but still couldn't remove the wheel (and had managed to cut his hand quite badly trying).

I picked up a suitable tool and drove round, asked for a bit of wood to put across the wheel so as not to damage it, hit it once with the lump hammer I'd brought with me and it fell off.

On reflection I could have probably done it with a kick, but nevertheless it was fun to see the look on his face.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    I gave my wife her first car when we got engaged, my spare Mini. I insisted that she showed me that she could change a wheel before I let her have it! 

I was lucky in that my dad was awesome and showed me all about cars when I bought my first mini. I started off with tappet and distributor setups, went on to head removals and ended up with fitting disk breaks, fitting a second fuel tank, rebuilding an engine, replacing subframes etc. Happy days.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    dbphoto said:
    One hour and forty five minutes I have so far sat and watched/laughed at two young numpties attempt to change a tyre on one of their cars oustide mine.

They have only just figured out that stamping on a tyre iron from a 9 o'clock position is far more effective than pulling from a 3 o'clock position!

They may be there for some time yet but I’m enjoying my wine too much to pop out and give some old man advice :-)

Os what are they using tyre levers for ? Stumped here 

I just use the lump hammer method

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Garthy said:
    Just seems a bit cuntish really.
    Takes one to know one I suppose sweetheart x
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited October 2018
    dbphoto said:

Are you an AA patrolman by any chance??!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    dbphoto said:

Os what are they using tyre levers for ? Stumped here 

I just use the lump hammer method

I think the experienced 'old man' meant 'breaker bar'... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26549
    edited October 2018
    dbphoto said:

I can beat that. A Fiat 500 stopped outside my house (blocking my drive, of course) with a flat, and three young women got out. They jacked the car up then went to get the spare (which is actually not that simple in a 500, so fair play).

Then they spent 20 minutes trying to undo the wheel bolts while it was off the ground, with two of them trying to hold the wheel still while the other went at the bolt with the wrench.

I was on a call, but I figured they'd work it out before I finished. Nope.

I went out there and just as I was about to open my mouth, I got "We don't need help! Piss off, old man!".

So I just shrugged and said, "OK, but you might find it easier if you loosen the bolts while it's on the road and then jack it up..." and went back in the house.

What followed was silence, I presume of the somewhat sheepish variety.

Truth is, I had to go out and I just wanted them out of my way...

I can handle people not knowing stuff, and I don't even take the piss when they're unable to figure something out. It's the aggressively dim that I can't abide.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6848
    dbphoto said:

I can beat that. A Fiat 500 stopped outside my house (blocking my drive, of course) with a flat, and three young women got out. They jacked the car up then went to get the spare (which is actually not that simple in a 500, so fair play).

Then they spent 20 minutes trying to undo the wheel bolts while it was off the ground, with two of them trying to hold the wheel still while the other went at the bolt with the wrench.

I was on a call, but I figured they'd work it out before I finished. Nope.

I went out there and just as I was about to open my mouth, I got "We don't need help! Piss off, old man!".

So I just shrugged and said, "OK, but you might find it easier if you loosen the bolts while it's on the road and then jack it up..." and went back in the house.

What followed was silence, I presume of the somewhat sheepish variety.

Truth is, I had to go out and I just wanted them out of my way...

I can handle people not knowing stuff, and I don't even take the piss when they're unable to figure something out. It's the aggressively dim that I can't abide.
    Yup. Typical these days. 

I get Glyn Hopkin staff park over my dropped kerb, half blocking my drive. 

I started by politely asking them not to and explaining that they could get a ticket. (Only if the resident of the property reports it will Havering act, that is). 

I suffered 'I'll park where I fucking want' etc twice. 

Nope, I'll play mean then too. 

Since then I've given Haverings Parking Wardens a lot of business. 

The idiots still do it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6766
    dbphoto said:

Im the same when I see young couples making out in the local park or woods. I usually quietly approach, gently tap them on the shoulder and give some advice on how I’d get it done in a couple of minutes....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    Once we went camping in the pissing rain and high winds and it took us a good hour and a half to get the tent up which basically was acting s a huge parachute. A family of four was watching for the entire time in their caravan in front of the gas fire sipping wine, I thought they were right Cnuts. I’m sure it was entertaining though. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Last time I was on the train, I was in one of the 4+table seats and a couple of student types sat down opposite me. They seemed nice enough, but after a while they pulled a 4-pack of Stella cans out of a bag and opened a couple. After a few minutes the girl knocked hers over, flooding the table and soaking my trousers. I barely got an apology.

Fuckers. If they'd chosen better beer I could have asked for one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684
    edited October 2018
    Last flat we had, I just called the RAC to do it as I get it free with my insurance. I know how to do it but I was buggered if I was going to do it at 10pm. The RAC man seemed a bit bemused considering the car was our drive at the time (and when he came I answered the door in my pajamas as I'd gone to bed) but he seemed happy to be doing that rather than being stuck on a motorway hard shoulder so we were all winners.

I did feel a bit typically millennial though, the kind of person who buys a new printer because it's cheaper than ink cartridges for the existing one
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’m 43 and have never changed a car wheel and never really intend to. I also don’t face my chair towards the window whilst enjoying a nice glass of wine. Not sure if you’re aware but I think you come off worse than the youngsters by your discription. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4156
    Changing a wheel can be a right pain. I’ve had occasions when the wheel nuts were air-spannered on so hard by the tyre place it’s taken a socket wrench, an extension, and my entire body weight jumping on it for leverage before they’d shift. 

It’s a crap thing to have to do at any time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom