Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you think the hardest guitar part to play is?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
I saw a video claiming that Zappa's Black page was the hardest guitar part to nail live. Didn't seem that bad to me, it's rather angular and abstract. Needless to say I couldn't play it!

I used to think that John Petrucci's fast bit on Erotomania was pretty hard, but it seems like a lot of players can play fast these days.

Back when the John Petrucci forum was up and running, there were a lot of very good guitarists posting there, and the general consensus of opinion was that the arpeggio's bit (approx 2.20 minutes in) of Dream Theater's Glass Prison was insanely hard to nail.

What do you think is a hard piece to play - either for yourself or just generally?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091
    Most things Yngwie plays! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Some Skunk Funk by Brecker Brothers.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited October 2018
    Loads of Al di Meola - it’s the rhythm as much as the notes that flummox me. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    The Simpsons theme tune !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Anything by Holdsworth....specially his chords..
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I reckon this is a contender.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Brightside.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Anything by U2.

Because I've heard any number of really good guitarists - at least a couple of who I know don't rate the Edge as a 'proper' player - try to play U2 songs... and not one of them has ever got it right, ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried copying some of the folksy/twee guitar parts that Ritchie Blackmore played on the Blackmore's Night recordings. I thought they'd be easy. Were they heck.

I've also tried copying Andy Latimer. All I can say is never under-estimate him.

James Taylor is another one who makes it sound easy, but he's a master.

One thing I did manage to nail, but it WAS hard work, is Mike Oldfield's solo in In Ducli Jubilo.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    ICBM said:
    Anything by U2.

Because I've heard any number of really good guitarists - at least a couple of who I know don't rate the Edge as a 'proper' player - try to play U2 songs... and not one of them has ever got it right, ever.
    Very true, songs like Pride, The End of the world, Wire, even Vertigo sound like they are easy enough but no one gets close to the same sound. Being a big U2 fan I've been trying for years myself but he has "something" more in terms of technique and it ain't just the effects because we all have those now .... very underrated player in terms of ability 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    ICBM said:
    Anything by U2.

Who'd want to? U2 are shite.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Barney said:
    Anything by Holdsworth....specially his chords..
    Yes. I'd be quite impressed if I'd ever see anyone play through a full piece. Even aside from speed some of the stretches are impossible for guitarists with smaller hands. 

One a different note, also Charlie Hunter, cos who's going to have a mad hybrid instrument and do what he does. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I find its usually the seemingly simple stuff that harder to play, ironically enough
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2940
    Anything that Fred Frith had involvement with.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3835
    Anything Hendrix. You can do your own version of his songs, but trying to nail exactly what he played is futile.
  • Ignoring the "guitar as a sport" widdly parts, I'd say the rhythm part to Extreme's He Man Woman Hater. Not just the intro (which is pretty hard to nail as it is, but still do-able) but the verse as well. The timing and phrasing is just so odd to play, but perfectly normal to listen to.
    <space for hire>
  • westwest Frets: 996

Contender .....
  • The intro riff to Susie Q
  • Joe Pass stuff, how the heck he could remember all those chords/inversions and play them on the fly I’ll never know. 

Tommy Emmanuel fingerstyle.

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Derek Bailey.