Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you think the hardest guitar part to play is?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited October 2018
    Maybe something from Buckethead's 300ish releases. (skip to 6m 38s on this one)
     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32fakbUp_w4&t=6m38s  

Or more experimental:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LewO0P8s-so&t=27m48s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited October 2018
    Despite how simple it's meant to be I can never get the twiddly bit in the Back In Back main riff to sound right. I've tried so many times playing along to the track and never get it to sound quite the same. It's something in the bend on the G string I think. Lots of ACDC is like that I think, simple in theory but hard to replicate the same feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Whats hard is writing something good..... or being in the moment when your playing. 

Playing music shouldn't be a technical exercise should it?

the fact that John Petrucci had a forum is tragic. Dream theatre are tragic. The Brecker Brothers? Puleeeezzzzzzz...... The point has been missed by a sizeable margin I fear. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    the hardest guitar part to play is anything where a player has developed their own style that is not stereotypically challenging, e.g The edge, JJ Cale, Johnny Marr

If you play stuff by Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, Vai, Buckethead, etc,. everyone will be impressed if you get near it, they are unlikely to hear the flaws in your playing, but with the style over technique stuff, the rules are reversed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    The strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    With my tennis elbow anything involving the first ten frets basically.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    rlw said:
    With my tennis elbow anything involving the first ten frets basically.
    I struggle with the first 21 personally. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Whats hard is writing something good..... or being in the moment when your playing. 

the fact that John Petrucci had a forum is tragic. Dream theatre are tragic. The Brecker Brothers? Puleeeezzzzzzz...... The point has been missed by a sizeable margin I fear. 
    Sure glad I don't have your blinkered view on what is music.
  • axisus said:
    Whats hard is writing something good..... or being in the moment when your playing. 

Sure glad I don't have your blinkered view on what is music.
    I don't have a blinkered view of what music is - art is subjective and I am just expressing my opinion...

I find that a focus on technical complexity makes music less engaging and in general I like the idea of music being inclusive. I don't know if your a fan of Petrucci, Dream Theatre, the Brecker Brothers or the idea that music should be a technical exercise? Personally its not for me. 

I watched a you tube series in which dream theatre auditioned drummers. I wasn't sure if it was parody but eventually came to the sad conclusion that these people were real. 

Anyway to each there own and all that - no offence meant @axisus ;

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    tekbow said:
    I reckon this is a contender.

Oddly enough that’s what came to mind. Not because I particularly think it is ( not that I think it isn’t - who knows) but because I posted it on here once and someone ( possibly yourself tek, I really can’t remember)said something to the effect that they’d found it very hard to learn. I’m not sure learning Sails of Charon note for note had ever occurred to me, maybe that it was even possible.  I felt very stupid and very small in the world of guitar at that point, possibly also disappointed the 16 year old me who might have thought I’d have that kind of thing cracked by now.

[ if anyone is new to Uli period The Scorpions the story is that they couldn’t really speak English apart from the drummer who could a bit but felt commercially they should sing in English. Hence it was a period of very odd lyrics]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    The hardest stuff I've tried to play has all been classical guitar. The most technically demanding mid to late 19th century stuff (Regondi, etc) is really really hard, as is a lot of the more technically extreme modern stuff.

But, I suspect, for most people, the stuff that's hardest is stuff that's furthest from what they can currently do, and that's going to vary a ton depending on your musical background.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I reckon, something by Jon Gomm, eg:

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    @robinbowes ; Good call on Passionflower - insane track!
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    beed84 said:
    ICBM said:
    Anything by U2.

Because I've heard any number of really good guitarists - at least a couple of who I know don't rate the Edge as a 'proper' player - try to play U2 songs... and not one of them has ever got it right, ever.
    Who'd want to? U2 are shite.
    wow, and what did they say when they heard your career output ? FFS
  • Im really surprised no one has mentioned  Em

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom