Gassing for an axe fx for no reason :/

What's Hot
1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
edited April 2014 in FX
I have a serious yearning for an axe fx, I don't need one, I have a mountain of pedals......a GT10 that I never use, and several very desirable amps.......aaaarrghhhhhhh
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Buy one and get it out of your system.
    Or then sell the rest of your gear.
    Or run multiple rigs (which is what I do).
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    edited April 2014
    Just my opinion but, unless you are prepared to put a good chunk of time & effort into it, keep your money. Not the sort of purchase to be made on a whim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973 said:
    Not the sort of purchase to be made on a whim.
    Isn't all GAS a purchase on a whim? If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, get one! :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Isn't all GAS a purchase on a whim? If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, get one! :D

Haha, exactly :D
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    edited April 2014

IMO The correct thing to do with a GT10 is not to use it. I had one and was seriously unhappy with it

Anyway, back on topic - the AF2 can do stunning FX, and excellent amp sounds. GAS is a reasonable reaction

It is nice to run a pedalboard and nice amps, but better to have one less amp, and get an AF2 as well

Like Mr Octa, I have fewer amps since I got my AF2

My main problem is that I know I wont sell any amps....I haven't sold any guitars/amps for years :D
    I sold ones I thought I would keep, just found I was only playing the best amps. Depends how many you have though
    edited April 2014
    1nten5e said:
    My main problem is that I know I wont sell any amps....I haven't sold any guitars/amps for years :D
    I said the same.
    I had about 12 tube amps before getting the Ultra (then upgraded to the AFX2).
    I'm down to 2 now.

Considered getting a few more amps just for the hell of it, but honestly they would just take up room and hardly get used.
    You DO have to put the time into the AFX though.
    Many people aren't prepared to do it.
    2 Marshall silver jubilees, a Mesa Roadking II and a JC120 :D
    I'm ok with putting the time in I think.....I just have a feeling that I'd find a nice amp tone I liked and stick with it....hence not using the AFX to its full potential
    1nten5e said:
    I'm ok with putting the time in I think.....I just have a feeling that I'd find a nice amp tone I liked and stick with it....hence not using the AFX to its full potential
    Just keeping up with the firmware/software updates can be a full-time job- but they are optional- I am still on an old firmware as I don't have time to upgrade and change all my presets at the moment.

If you are using it and making music with it then you are using it to its full potential.
    There are no extra points for using all the amp models and all the effects, at once.

I use essentially 3 amp models for 99% of my guitar work.
    For production and re-amping I use more but not loads.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Octa do you have any ewe-chewb or similar clips we can hear of it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    octatonic said:
    1nten5e said:
    I said the same.
    I had about 12 tube amps before getting the Ultra (then upgraded to the AFX2).
    I'm down to 2 now.

Considered getting a few more amps just for the hell of it, but honestly they would just take up room and hardly get used.
    You DO have to put the time into the AFX though.
    Many people aren't prepared to do it.

I had 16, now down to 7. Like Octa, these were seriously good amps too. I'd happily lose 2 of those 7, even though they are excellent, especially since I got the KPA. I could get it down to 4 I think without distress

Also like Mr Tonic, this allowed me to focus on guitars more, hence my current excessive baritone adventures

edited April 2014
    viz said:
    Octa do you have any ewe-chewb or similar clips we can hear of it?
    Of me doing Axe FX stuff, no not really.
    Pete Thorn has some really good demo's.
    I'm not a fan of Youtube due to compression and the notion that a guitar divorced from the rest of a song always sounds a bit pants.
    I like to hear things within the context of a track and uncompressed.
    Making big decisions about gear purchases with youtube videos is like judging art after first smearing it with vaseline.

Or check out Irene Ketikidi's solo album- Martial Arts and Magic Tricks- on iTunes or Spotify.
    All of her guitars were recorded dry and I processed them in the Axe FX during mix down.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I too gas for one, but manage to keep a lid on it as I can't be arsed with all that tweaking pfaffery. 

I have a Line6 PoD XTpro - and seem to only use the Blackface Lux setting ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    If you have the time to put into it then great, go for it. They're excellent processors, the best there is out there.

f you want to play live with it, the Fractal foot controller is a must-have IMO. Also allow approx £800 more if your going FRFR. It's cheaper to turn off the cab & power amp sims and use a separate power amp & cab. Some take the latter route to ease the transition. 

The former has the added advantage of being very portable - I used to go to gigs with Axe/MFC/bits in one hand, wedge in the other, guitar on my back. Now it's 3 journeys to and from the car.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Why bother with an MFC when the FCB1010 is far cheaper?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26463
    Roland said:
    One of the benefits is bi-directional communication. The AxeFX can tell the MFC what effects are enabled/disabled etc, so the controller always shows you exactly the state of the AxeFX. WIth the FCB1010, it can't (to my knowledge), so you have to leave all your effects disabled on the AxeFX and then enable/disable them by configuring patches on the FCB1010 to switch them on/off with CCs as well as sending out PCs to change patch.

Also, communication across the RJ45 port is much quicker than MIDI can handle, so more information can be sent back and forth.
    <space for hire>
    Roland said:
    One of the benefits is bi-directional communication. The AxeFX can tell the MFC what effects are enabled/disabled etc, so the controller always shows you exactly the state of the AxeFX. WIth the FCB1010, it can't (to my knowledge), so you have to leave all your effects disabled on the AxeFX and then enable/disable them by configuring patches on the FCB1010 to switch them on/off with CCs as well as sending out PCs to change patch.

Also, communication across the RJ45 port is much quicker than MIDI can handle, so more information can be sent back and forth.
    Yes, pretty much the size of it.
    The MFC is probably the best midi controller on the planet when combined with the Axe FX.
    There are so many features in the MFC that you cannot get with any other midi controller.
    Looper integration is astonishingly well thought out.
    Scenes.
    Configurability too is unparalleled.

You really have to try it to see how well it works but there is no way I'd want to use the Axe FX without the MFC.
    TBH I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who had experience of the MFC with the axe that wouldn't recommend it. If you can afford it -and it's only a boutique pedalsworth more than decent Voodoo lab or Rocktron controller- then go for that too.