Auden? Never heard of em...

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
I played a couple of Auden aciustics at the guitar show in Northampton today. Had never heard of them before (although entirely possible i am just late to the party?). They were being sold by the people who are distributing Gordon Smith i believe. Anyway, they seemed really nice and the 12 string was extremely easy to play. 

Anyone had much experience of these? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    They are part of Blackstar (as are Gordon Smith) Doug started the company, then bought GS, finally teamed up with Blackstar, they are very good value for money
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    edited October 2018
    *edited because it was a bit unkind on reflection*
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Stuckfast said:
    There is a chap at our folk club who has one. Before that I think he had a Collings. It would be fair to say that any issues with the way both guitars sounded was not down to the instruments themselves.

"OK Google! Burns unit in Cambridgeshire!"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    That sounded more waspish than I meant it to!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I own one, it's one of the best acoustics I've played (in my opinion entirely of course). 

The build quality is excellent and they are pretty fairly priced.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    That looks great. They played great at the show. I couldn’t hear well enough over the general noise to get the nuances of the sounds but I’m definitely interested in trying some more at some point. 
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited October 2018
    Quiet time at The Guitar Show is "amps off" and people can try acoustics (or anything else unplugged) during that time.

I tried an Auden at the show two years ago.  Me and a bloke called Andy picked one each and jammed for a few minutes. Then at the same time we pointed at each other's guitar and said "yours sounds good...",  so we swapped and jammed a bit more.

IIRC they were a dreadnought and a dark parlour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Doug and Rob Bowman (luthier) set them up a few years back. They are very good guitars, sound grand, play well; maybe won’t set the world on fire but they are pretty damn consistent.

They’ve since acquired Gordon Smith which seems to be going well and done a deal to help out Blackstar in their hour of need (which I’m hearing some interesting rumours on). I’m hoping this latter point doesn’t sink them, as they are good guys producing some very enjoyable instruments to play.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Looking at their site, I think the 6 string I played must have been from the Neo range, going off the RRP of £799.  Although it had a cutaway and I can't see that as an option.  It was a nice, no frills, satin finished job.  I like the look of them for that sort of price point.  The higher priced ones at ~£1300 I'm not sure I wouldn't go for a Martin or something.  Maybe I'm being snobbish?