Lindsey Buckingham - Behind the Music

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited October 2018 in Music
Just watched this, not too bad.. plenty of conflict (no surprises there!) and a few interesting tidbits.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    And - as I read on the hugely reliable BBC site today - it was Stevie Nicks that got him chucked out of Fleetwood Mac. Apparently he was ‘smirking’ as some awards event while she was making a speech. 
    The baggage between those two is immense.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited October 2018
    AlexC said:
    And - as I read on the hugely reliable BBC site today - it was Stevie Nicks that got him chucked out of Fleetwood Mac. Apparently he was ‘smirking’ as some awards event while she was making a speech. 
    The baggage between those two is immense.
    He's a difficult guy in some respects. I watched the Say you will making of doc and he was a control freak who fought (unreasonably IMO) for a double album and made things more difficult and whiny than need be at times. So I was surprised when Christine made an album with him thereafter. Seems an ok guy buy maybe being around Stevie (who is pretty much the opposite, a joy to work with) brings out his worst.

He'll always have an A+ in my book for making that John Stewart album though. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    His competative streak may have come from his swimming days, when he had to live in the shadow of his brother.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    He is certainly a difficult person and probably to a degree the Mac success has not helped that. 
    A lot of my more gifted guitar player friends always tell me he is a shit player but to me he may not be the most technical player but his talent is more than just being the lead guitarist he is a great writer, producer and I find his playing very appropriate to the song.

The history between him and Stevie even today seems completely toxic and unresolved and I think unless you are in that world completely impossible to describe.

All that said have enjoyed his work a lot over the years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    edited October 2018

"Not a single band member talks to me" - no shit ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    If he’s a shit player, how come no-one can play like him? When he leaves Fleetwood Mac he gets replaced by at least two guitarists, who still can’t copy his parts... and I’ve never heard anyone else do either.

I would say the exact opposite. He’s certainly very idiosyncratic which makes him hard to impersonate, but also very good.

He doesn’t exactly come across well as someone you’d really want in your band though, creative genius and great guitarist or not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    He'll always have an A+ in my book for making that John Stewart album though. 
    This will need explaining for the benefit of younger readers. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    There's an echo in here ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    They should probably all just call it a day, to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    There's an echo in here ! ;)
    Whoops!!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited October 2018
    Lindsey is a phenomenal player and totally unique.

part of this is due to the fact he learned bluegrass banjo before guitar.

his use of tunings, alternate pickings and so on are almost without parallel in pop music. As is his use of repicking a note to mimic sustain.

people who say he can’t play are normally shred types who simply don’t get how you play the music and write with a guitar.

if you named the 5 greatest guitar based songwriters of all time Lindsey in in there. He’s a genius, but a total cunt of a bloke, on all accts.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Lindsey is a phenomenal player and totally unique.

part of this is due to the fact he learned bluegrass banjo before guitar.

his use of tunings, alternate pickings and so on are almost without parallel in pop music. As is his use of repicking a note to mimic sustain.

people who say he can’t play are normally shred types who simply don’t get how you play the music and write with a guitar.

if you named the 5 greatest guitar based songwriters of all time Lindsey in in there. He’s a genius, but a total cunt of a bloke, on all accts.
    Isn't he a Travis picker?

He uses loads of different techniques. There's a show where he shows the real way to play Go Your Own Way on the acoustic bit, and it's nothing like you'd guess in terms of chord positions.

Also, soloing- when he solos he uses the pad of his middle finger to pluck the note, and when he bends (with tape wound strings) he keeps stroking the note to get this huge faux sustain (viz: The Chain solo).

As I say, unique. The world needs more innovators like him.

In terms of writing a song around the guitar licks, I'd put him alongside Finn, Harrison and Marr in terms of my idols.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    Gassage said:
    Also, soloing- when he solos he uses the pad of his middle finger to pluck the note, and when he bends (with tape wound strings) he keeps stroking the note to get this huge faux sustain.
    It sounds like a very erotic technique  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    Gassage said:
    Also, soloing- when he solos he uses the pad of his middle finger to pluck the note, and when he bends (with tape wound strings) he keeps stroking the note to get this huge faux sustain.
    It sounds like a very erotic technique  
    Why d'ya think Stevie still goes weak at the knees when they do Landslide?!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Gassage said:

Why d'ya think Stevie still goes weak at the knees when they do Landslide?!
    I still go weak at the knees when they do Landslide ;-)

Stevie's right though, they're a heritage act that should just tour and rake in the cash playing the hits. A new FM album won't set the charts on fire, and any new songs in the set would be overshadowed by the old stuff.

Of course that's not in Lindsey's mentality, he still wants to create. I'm sure I read something a few tours back about him only carrying on with FM as it helps to bring his solo stuff back into the limelight on the back of it.

Wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac without a load of personal drama going on behind the scenes!
    Gassage said:

He uses loads of different techniques. There's a show where he shows the real way to play Go Your Own Way on the acoustic bit, and it's nothing like you'd guess in terms of chord positions.

@freebird - what a voice he had when young. Utterly amazing.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Rick Beato did a great "what makes this song great" on Go Your Own Way, it was taken off youtube but is still available here:

https://flatfiv.com/blogs/rick-beato/what-makes-this-song-great-ep-12-fleetwood-mac