SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

For Sale , original 1963 Stratocaster Now SOLD

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I bought this one from Manchester Richard! Could it possibly be the same one ( probably not!)
    Mine was fiesta red and an original finish. Apparently it went to Japan....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I bought this one from Manchester Richard! Could it possibly be the same one ( probably not!)
    Mine was fiesta red and an original finish. Apparently it went to Japan....
    I kind of feel your pain every time you mention this guitar Richard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited October 2018
    I mean, I have got this 58 Special refin with all original parts and case. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    I'm drooling...that Strat, then that LP Special !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to own a ‘63 - my main gigging guitar for many years. Hands down the best sounding Strat I’ve ever played - I’d love to get it back. The trick would probably not to have parted with it in the first place. A wise move on your part @Paul111s....
    As a massive Strat fan myself and seeker of the holy grail I’ve been pondering on your comment for ages @richardhomer ;

Was it the really the sound, or the playability, or the mojo/mystique or a.n.other, or all of the above ? 

Youve probably played many Strats through many different amps/pedals etc but how can you be assured that one was the best sounding ?

Was it best sounding live or in your practice room ?

Genuine question mate, why was it the best ?

Don’t say ‘colour’ lol  :)
    edited October 2018
    I used to own a ‘63 - my main gigging guitar for many years. Hands down the best sounding Strat I’ve ever played - I’d love to get it back. The trick would probably not to have parted with it in the first place. A wise move on your part @Paul111s....
    As a massive Strat fan myself and seeker of the holy grail I’ve been pondering on your comment for ages @richardhomer ;;

Was it the really the sound, or the playability, or the mojo/mystique or a.n.other, or all of the above ? 

Youve probably played many Strats through many different amps/pedals etc but how can you be assured that one was the best sounding ?

Was it best sounding live or in your practice room ?

Genuine question mate, why was it the best ?

Don’t say ‘colour’ lol 
    I bought it in 1983 - having owned a late period CBS Strat for a while and a ‘65 for two years. The 65 was miles better than the CBS one - but the 63 was miles better than the 65. A friend owned a vintage guitar shop and I A/Bd mine with virtually every old Strat that passed through the place.

It sounded great played clean at bedroom volumes - and astonishing when cranked at stage levels. 

Perhaps the best compliment it got was when our band acted as Arlen Roth’s backing band in 1984 for a gig in Rochdale. We rehearsed the night before with him at my friend’s shop where he played my Strat and said if I ever wanted to sell it, he’d like to buy it. At the time there was no chance I’d have sold it.

Many years later when I did (but still pre-internet) I had no way of contacting him.

There is of course a possibility if I played it now that I wouldn’t feel the same about it - but I loved it as much as it’s possible to love anything that isn’t alive....
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Just out of interest, is there any sort of marking,etc under the pickguard perhaps, that gives it away that this is a refin? Didnt CB start putting his initials in the cavity or something?
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018
    Wow @richardhomer, ;why did u sell it ? Can u remember it’s weight/neck shape ? Has any guitar come close since ? What was your band called ? What amps were you using at that time ?

Sorry to be a pain, genuinely interested - cheers
    edited October 2018
    Wow @richardhomer, ;;;why did u sell it ? Can u remember it’s weight/neck shape ? Has any guitar come close since ? What was your band called ? What amps were you using at that time ?

Sorry to be a pain, genuinely interested - cheers
    I sold it as I moved in with my girlfriend and there were almost endless attempts to burgle her house - so I decided to part with it on my terms, rather than risk having it taken. I saw it as ‘growing up’ in a sense too - for many years after I barely played at all.

The neck was fairly thin in the lower positions but thicker by the octave. Weight-wise probably 8lbs - not exceptionally light - though my experience is that ‘very’ light pre-CBS Strats are ‘very’ rare.

My 2006 56 Relic CS Strat is the best Strat I’ve had since - and in terms of feel - probably better (I tend to like fatter necks).
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    @richardhomer The Arlen Roth gig wasn't anything to do with "The Guitar Player" shop in Rochdale owned by Arthur and Peter Bird was it by any chance?
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    edited October 2018
    ellangus said:
    @richardhomer The Arlen Roth gig wasn't anything to do with "The Guitar Player" shop in Rochdale owned by Arthur and Peter Bird was it by any chance?
    Yes it was. Arthur played drums in the band and guitar repairer Ted Lee played bass.
    Thought so, I remember going to a slide guitar workshop with Arlen Roth in Rochdale.

Bought quite a lot of gear of Arthur through Rock Island in Oldham and The Guitar Player in particular a Maui Blue Telecaster (ex Bobby Ball no less) sold it back to them. Wish I hadn't now.

Talking of '63 Strats, my mate bought an immaculate '63 sunburst with tweed case from them in the early to mid 80's for something daft like £500 and sold it a couple of years later for the same. I saw one at the Manchester guitar show a few years back, the seller was asking princely sum of £17,000 - D'oh!!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ellangus said:
    Thought so, I remember going to a slide guitar workshop with Arlen Roth in Rochdale.

Bought quite a lot of gear of Arthur through Rock Island in Oldham and The Guitar Player in particular a Maui Blue Telecaster (ex Bobby Ball no less) sold it back to them. Wish I hadn't now
    Arthur remains a good friend - he’s a great drummer and is playing with a band called Bite the Dust these days. 
    Yeah, good bloke, He always looked after us when we were at art college in Oldham and used to spend too much time in Rock Island and coming out with an E string or a plectrum after an hour or more trying out guitars - patience of a saint ;-) Not seen him for years but he's friends on Facebook 
  • Hi, Paul,

Lovely looking guitar.  I know you said you weren't interested in trades, but added that you were now a Les Paul strummer. I have a 1977 Les Paul Deluxe, which I've converted to a Standard.  I might get interested in trading the Les Paul and cash for your Strat.  Do you live anywhere near Oxfordshire?

Cheers!

Clive.

• paul111spaul111s Frets: 119
    Hi Clive,

sorry as previous comment ive now removed this from sale. thanks anyway 
  • Hi, Paul,

Sorry, scrolling back I do now see you've removed it from sale,

Cheers!

Clive.

• paul111spaul111s Frets: 119
    edited July 2019
    Back up for sale, way too much of a guitar not to get used like is currently happening. She who must be obeyed has spoken!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    ellangus said:

I remember that Shop - - - They had a Dan Armstrong Plexi at one point that I raved about at the time -)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Sharkey335Sharkey335 Frets: 45
    Oh my word that is perfection  =)
This discussion has been closed.