You do know, we *are* all going to die, don't you ?

What's Hot

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    What lifestylee do these scientist follow?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    I find it sad that 200,000 years of human progress could be washed away so easily.  To get this far and then die would be a dreadful shame.  A lot of suffering has been endured to get to the point we're at

Would that progress cease to exist just because we weren't around to remember and recite it?
    Without human comprehension, yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Don't worry, in about a trillion years the universe will no longer be capable of supporting any kind of life and then no-one will care.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The key part of that article is this:

"The critical 33-page Summary for Policymakers certainly bears the hallmarks of difficult negotiations between climate researchers determined to stick to what their studies have shown and political representatives more concerned with economies and living standards."

Politicians shouldn't be involved in science. If they are, then their influence can only be to the detriment of the facts - which aren't reliant on political convenience.

So long as that continues to be the case, the current human way of life has an expiry date.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673

Politicians shouldn't be involved in science. If they are, then their influence can only be to the detriment of the facts - which aren't reliant on political convenience.

So long as that continues to be the case, the current human way of life has an expiry date.
    So what does science prescribe?

(Euthenasia probably. :anguished: )
    You know what, just seen this on Facebook and fuck it, bring the meteor/complete ecological meltdown/whatever

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was a time when humanity didn't exist.  I wasn't in the least bit bothered.

I expect it's highly likely there'll be a future in which humanity doesn't exist.  I don't expect I'll be in the least bit bothered.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • There was a time when humanity didn't exist.  I wasn't in the least bit bothered.

I expect it's highly likely there'll be a future in which humanity doesn't exist.  I don't expect I'll be in the least bit bothered.
    Yeah but that time before we existed doesn't exist because there was no human comprehension of it ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    There was a time when humanity didn't exist.  I wasn't in the least bit bothered.

Yeah but that time before we existed doesn't exist because there was no human comprehension of it ;)
    Our understanding of it exists
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Technically I think OP is mistaken, we're not _all_ going to die. We're tough little ****ers, some will survive.

But there's a big reset coming, and if we don't do it it will be done to us, and won't be pretty.
  • roberty said:
    There was a time when humanity didn't exist.  I wasn't in the least bit bothered.

Our understanding of it exists

True I'll give you that :) I still don't think something ceases to exist just because those who created it no longer exist though. Reality exists outside of human influence, and if anything, the lack of humans may allow for a more objective summary or evaluation of that 200,000 years of progress by whatever is left afterwards.
    Maybe, I'm just talking out of my arse to be honest.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    That’s why it’s a waste of time recycling anything.  Humans are too selfish not to rape the planet of everything and cause  their own extinction in the process.  It’s inevitable.
    Let’s just behave as is our true nature, let evolution do its thing and get on with our replacements.  

An oft-spouted comment of mine on the subject is that global warming won’t be taken seriously until the Atlantic is lapping against the White House lawn - and even then the politicians will be arguing over proposed actions based on the effect they might have on their own re-election chances.

I wonder if that’s what happened to Mars ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    That’s why it’s a waste of time recycling anything.  Humans are too selfish not to rape the planet of everything and cause  their own extinction in the process.  It’s inevitable.
    Let’s just behave as is our true nature, let evolution do its thing and get on with our replacements.  

An oft-spouted comment of mine on the subject is that global warming won’t be taken seriously until the Atlantic is lapping against the White House lawn - and even then the politicians will be arguing over proposed actions based on the effect they might have on their own re-election chances.

I blame laminate flooring ... Look on the bright side. You'll be able to have a sunny holiday in Wales which will reduce your carbon footprint as you won't need to fly to Spain on Easygrot ...

Recycling's not a waste of time ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Dominic said:
    How do you know that we live on the "most beautiful planet " in the Universe
    Some friends of mine went to Jupiter for their summer holidays, stayed in a lovely Hotel and said the culture and scenery were fantastic.They've just re-booked for next year.
    Jupiter? Pfft. I’ve got a mate fom Betelgeuse. We’ve travelled the universe, done many impossible things, seen the vogons, etc etc. And all before breakfast, too.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I blame laminate flooring ... Look on the bright side. You'll be able to have a sunny holiday in Wales which will reduce your carbon footprint as you won't need to fly to Spain on Easygrot ...

Recycling's not a waste of time ..

Always!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I suspect humanity will eventually do the right thing, but it will be in the same way as we did in WW2, and cost about the same in life and treasure as well, seriously, a little comparison...

1.  We will wait long enough to do anything several opportunities to resolve it easily will pass us by (check)
    2.  Even though it is obvious to everyone with a brain a disaster is brewing, we will still do fuck all, except start a clearly insufficient effort to deal with it that is constantly nay-sayed by wankers (check)

So what's next, well to continue the WW2 analogy...

3.  We will get a massive ass kicking that results in massive loss of innocent life.
    4.  One of the key players will be difficult to motivate into the fight because of poisonous domestic politics.
    5.  We will take costly hit after costly hit while stemming the tide as best as possible.

Not good and inevitable, but maybe, just maybe...

6.  The world's great powers will come together and devote their entire supplies of genius, labour and treasure to dealing with the threat.
    7.  Technological and economic developments as well as hard graft start to turn the tide.
    8.  The fully-mobilised industrial capacity of the world will make massive strides in salvaging and rebuilding our world...

The only problem with the analogy, is that the enemy in WW2 was three poorly-prepared economically weak global powers who all gambled foolishly on defeating the real powers quickly before they could bring their strength to bear.

The enemy that is man-made climate change is far more powerful and more difficult to control and predict. 

When climate change destroys weak island nations, and their populations become refugees, will we help?  Or like with the Mediterranean refugees will we essentially change the rules enough that we happily let them die, while wallowing in our own greed?

Who knows, maybe this isn't a good analogy.

What I do know, is this will get a lot worse before it gets better.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Recycling the way we do where we send it to other countries to bury or throw in the sea so we can reach our targets is a waste of time.

As for the point its hypocritical to criticise third world countries for developing the way we did is irrelevant. Approximately 1/3rd of the world lives in China and India.  If we stopped using all fossil fuels and recycled everything it would have no affect unless this is mirrored in these gargantuan populations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    The next big change could well be the technological singularity. It's not hard to see that's the way it's going. 

"Is it Alexa?"

"No , it isn't Shrews. It's only going one way...dumbass human."

"Fair point, well made, Alexa."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
    Emp_Fab said:

I agree it's very probable - I'm not an optimist. but it's not inevitable.

we're amazing creatures and can do whatever we set our collective minds to.

using our 'true nature" as a get out is to say we're all the same and have no choice. we're not all the same and we do have choices.
    Emp_Fab said:

haha https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-03-26/what-politicians-debating-global-warming-will-look-soon