Random History Nerd Area

What's Hot
Breaking out of the Crimea talk in the Politics Forum.

Colourised photos of Napoleonic veterans. 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/07/06/see-the-only-surviving-images-of-veterans-of-the-napoleonic-wars-in-hd-color/

This fellow especially looks hard as fuck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Kitsune said:
    Breaking out of the Crimea talk in the Politics Forum.

Colourised photos of Napoleonic veterans. 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/07/06/see-the-only-surviving-images-of-veterans-of-the-napoleonic-wars-in-hd-color/

He must have a strong neck to carry that hat!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Kitsune said:

A wimp compared to Lieutenant Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, aka Mad Jack .. went to war with a claymore and a longbow. During the retreat at Dunkirk he shot and killed a German soldier with a barbed arrow and used to charge at the enemy waving his claymore ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Fretwired said:
    Kitsune said:

A wimp compared to Lieutenant Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, aka Mad Jack .. went to war with a claymore and a longbow. During the retreat at Dunkirk he shot and killed a German soldier with a barbed arrow and used to charge at the enemy waving his claymore ....

My favourite Mad Jack story is the one with him flinging his briefcase out of his train window as the train passed his home, purely so he didn't have to carry it from the station.

HOWEVER the greatest Mad Jack in history is my personal favourite - Mad Jack Mytton

https://stephenliddell.co.uk/2016/11/18/john-mad-jack-mytton/

Alas no war for him to get stuck into.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Kitsune said:
    Fretwired said:
    Kitsune said:

My favourite Mad Jack story is the one with him flinging his briefcase out of his train window as the train passed his home, purely so he didn't have to carry it from the station.

Oooh.  May I play?  I've got a short book about him: 'Unlimited Boldness', by Rex King-Clark.  Mad as a hatter but with balls of brass.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Colonel Fredrick Gustav Burnaby

Explorer, pony carrier, Officer of the Cavalry, probably a latent psychopath and top balloonist.

http://greatbritishnutters.blogspot.com/2008/01/frederick-burnaby-bravest-man-in_23.html

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited October 2018
    Kitsune said:

Hard??? - he's wearing leg warmers!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

He would need to be - he's quite old for a soldier in those days. He will have survived things that killed a lot of less-hard bastards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Kitsune said:

He would need to be - he's quite old for a soldier in those days. He will have survived things that killed a lot of less-hard bastards.
    The photos were taken long after 1815 - the old boys got their uniforms out of hock and posed for daguerreotypes for posterity.
    This is proving to be an excellent read.

The American Civil War isn't really my theatre, but theres a game later in the year I'm hosting, so I need to have some grounding in the tactical choices and whatnot that happened.

Very well written and not too dry.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    I like the way Nathan Rothschild swindled the Uk stock exchange by hinting that Napoleon was victorious, basically giving all our wealth to Germany and even to this day we are still paying for it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    I like the way Nathan Rothschild swindled the Uk stock exchange by hinting that Napoleon was victorious, basically giving all our wealth to Germany and even to this day we are still paying for it.
    Yes, but does he Djent?
    I would if I had half his money, so , I'm pretty sure he does, yes.
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Kitsune said:

And he's only got one medal!
    Is that a tea spoon he has in his right hand? Looks like a Calpol spoon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    I think savagely hard were some of the Mongol and Tartar commanders. Just read a great book about Tamerlane ,Genghis Khan , Tokthamish etc  .......They were busy killing grown men in battle at the age of 12 !
    I also read a very detailed work about the Knights Templar of Rhodes and Malta ........they were very highly trained  fighting machines;like Spartans for the Middle Ages .......the SAS of their day.
      HARD ? ........always reminds me of Big Lenny Mclean, AKA The Governor ,a famous London face .......he did some minding work for my friends Dad .I went to see him Bareknuckle with Mad Gypsy Bradshaw . Truly very scary.
     His friend had a shop near my first job .......the friend, also a proper East End hard-man got badly stabbed one night outside a pub half a mile from home .......he carries on and beats up the guy until he's out cold ,picks him up with a knife still sticking out of his chest and carries him half a mile back to the family home so that he and his brothers can " teach him a proper lesson " !
  • Thats nothing...this guy is fucking rock hard, he could take you out just by concentrating on you.

http://prionson.com/wiki/doku.php?id=characters:the_42nd_lt_skytree
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    57Deluxe said:
    Kitsune said:

And with his hand on his hip like that?