So I gigged with a Champ this weekend...

LewyLewy Frets: 4123
...and it was bloody great! I had some solo blues gigs and wanted to do an electric set in the general tradition of John Lee Hooker, Mississippi Fred McDowell solo electric sound. 

I put a Palmer Junction Amp DI between amp and speaker and ran that into the PA, using the amp itself as a monitor. Put the El Capistan in front for some light slap.

I tried this a long time ago with a different Champ and gave up because it was so noisy but this was super quiet and the Palmer speaker sim set to “mellow” was a very good match compared to the amp’s own Weber.

Definitely doing it again. Anyone else do this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I used to use a '59 tweed Champ sometimes when I played in a 50s-style rock'n'roll/blues band.

I once got told to turn it down, and it wasn't mic'ed! Admittedly it was in quite a small bar, and it was up on a stool...

I normally used an Ibanez EM-5 Echo Machine pedal for slapback, and a Boss OS-2 for when I wasn't allowed to turn the amp up far enough :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Not a Champ - but a Tweed Deluxe and A. N. Other - either the Session Rockette or a Pignose G40v and have a monserous range of tones and reach and dead easy to move about.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Me too! Did a gig at Norwich Arts Centre last weekend with a homebrew Champ with 12" speaker mic'd up. It sounded brilliant.