Death can have its funny moments

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
As some of you will know my dear old mum died a month or so ago, she is buried inTurkey where she has lived for the past 14yrs with my dad. On the day of the funeral she was brought to the cemetary an hour and a half late whilst everyone was waiting in 40°c heat. The diggers then discovered that they had dug the hole about a foot too short for the coffin so had to jump down the hole remove the breeze block wall and make it bigger, typical Turkish building skills, that brought some laughs as my dad imagined her saying " if i cant have an Efes then you bloody lot cant"

Anyway a few weeks ago my uncle went over there to visit the grave with my dad. Tbe grave is currently unmarked to allow for the earth to settle. Then on the last day of my uncles stay he went back on his own for a final visit. He came back and told my dad that all the flowers had been cleared from the grave, something which my dad couldnt understand, he had spent an hour and a half there talking to my mum, crying and snotting and laying flowers.

It was the wrong grave. Sometimes all you can do is laugh!
"OUR TOSSPOT"
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sometimes you have to remember the good bits.  Glad you all saw the funny side.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4913
    Mmm, I went to a funeral a few weeks back, the widow of an old mate.  She wanted to be buried with her husband.  There was much palaver with the council to get permission to re-open the existing grave.

They opened the wrong one, which only got discovered when they went to lower her in.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    After my mum passed on, she was cremated and we (kids, 4 of us) decided to scatter her ashes in her favourite spot. As a PSA, I have to tell you that fate knows just how to mess with your attempts to scatter ashes with dignity. She wasn't even a Big Lebowski fan.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24295
    I know not of the Big Lebowski scene you reference but I’m guessing it’s similar to how my mum’s scattering went too!

Wind has a peculiar mind of its own sometimes.

At least I know a small part of mum will always be with me... though getting a face full wasn’t how I envisaged it.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Where is your Dad in Turkey? (I was over there the other week, just being nosey)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    He's in Fethiye, or rather just outside there near to Calis
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    He's in Fethiye, or rather just outside there near to Calis
    Looks like a good spot
    I was visiting my friend near the Syrian border. I plan to meet him elsewhere in Turkey next year maybe, perhaps in Istanbul, Izmir or the Southwest

I've been practicing cooking Turkish dishes since I got back, it's a wonderful country
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24295
    Unless you’re a bear.  Or a Christian.  Or have any objections to despot leaders.

If you’re a Christian bear who objects to autocracy, you’re shit out of luck.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom