What midi keyboard?

My lad is interested in a midi keyboard for chrimbo - wants something semi-wighted and medium sized he can put on the desk but still play properly (he already has a 88 key digital piano so full size not needed) and which has some triggers/pads on it too 

Any suggestions for makes and models to look at? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited October 2018
    What DAW is he using?

I recently got a novation impulse 61 (there is a 49 key version too) which works really well with ableton and has pads. I have not tried any equivalent offerings from other brands so can't compare. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    He has Live Lite but doesn't like it.

He's used Logic at school but doesn't have a Mac at home so probably going to set him up with Reaper 
    Red ones are better. 
    Off-topic but I used to be on Cubase before Ableton and Ableton's Session view is truly unique in my opinion. Traditionally, DAWs have arrangement view which is a linear way to record music (i.e. cubase, logic, reaper, pro tools etc.). Session view is very powerful! It allows you to mix and match elements like building blocks and really sparks creativity. I think Ableton Live Lite is really worth learning just for this! Once he gets used to putting instruments and effects in the device rack, he'll be set and off!

Using a big name DAW has the added advantage of good hardware support. The Novation keyboard I have automaps all the controls in Ableton Live so I can get up and going immediately after plugging it in without the need to assign all the faders, knobs and pads (tbf, i spent an hour or two downloading the drivers and getting the computer to correctly detect the device). Nothing kills the mood to make music faster than hardware frustration!
    Yeah I thought he'd like Live but he really doesn't, whereas he's comfortable with Logic from what they've done at school and the summer songwriting courses - I'm not going to tell him he *should* like Live - as I'm sure you know interest is easy stifled in young uns 
    Red ones are better. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Notation impulse 49 here....seems fine.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    TimmyO said:
    Yeah I thought he'd like Live but he really doesn't, whereas he's comfortable with Logic from what they've done at school and the summer songwriting courses - I'm not going to tell him he *should* like Live - as I'm sure you know interest is easy stifled in young uns 
    That's fair. It's great he has an interest in the first place!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    TimmyO said:

He's used Logic at school but doesn't have a Mac at home so probably going to set him up with Reaper 
    Traktion is back in business
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    TimmyO said:

Traktion is back in business
    I did see that.

I think I'll just pay for Reaper for him as it's the most similar in layout and workflow to Logic etc. 

I'd love to be able to get him a Mac and use my family license of Logic buy probably not realistic 
    Red ones are better. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    TimmyO said:

I think I'll just pay for Reaper for him as it's the most similar in layout and workflow to Logic etc. 

Some free Themes available to make it a little bit more closer visually as well --> https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Themes
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited October 2018
    Novation impulse 49 here.. good value for money
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD