What is your ‘sound’?

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1254
    edited October 9
    DrJazzTap said:
    Ideally something that sounds as close to a keytar as possible.

You can't beat a bit Johnny Demarco and gives me another chance to post this... =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 1041
    Les Paul > Bill Lawrence Circuit Boards > Wizard amp Kemper profiles

It's more Rock 'n Roll than Rock & Roll!  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Tele/Jag/Ricky/Jazzmaster into Vox or Fender - bridge pickup, just breaking up, a bit of reverb and most importantly - maximum jangle. Reference tones - early Who, Rubber Soul/Revolver, Kinks, Marquee Moon, Byrds. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1476
    p90fool said:
    Let's hear them then, descriptions are too vague! 
    This:

Crossed with this: 
    This is not an official response. 

ukqueries@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 709
    All the sounds! ..... I am a tone slut
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 910
    p90fool said:
    Anything expressive, with potential for light and shade. 
    This is my go to sound mainly;

Always enjoy seeing this - thanks for posting.

viz said:
    Basic overdriven sound, as provided by a 40-year-old Gibson Les Paul, a Keeley overdrive and Steve Vai’s old Carvin Legacy :)

https://youtu.be/P5frIyOEwZ4
    How did you record this?  Do you have special gear or is it merely just putting an iPhone by the speaker? (that's a question for both of you!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EMG 81 into an Orange Dark Terror, gain at about 2 o'clock, shape at 12:01... big dirty drop-C chord, followed by some palm muting \m/
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 254
    Just listened to JS Crystal Planet again - basically anything off that album is my favourite sound. Outro to Time is just sublime and still my favourite 2 minutes of music of all time. Probably.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2614
    I'm really appreciating just having any of my Guitars into the 69 setting on the Drive Channel of the Bogner Goldfinger 45. That's mainly my Teles or the Les Paul or my S-Type.

The 69 setting is like AC/DC Level gain, I put a touch of Reverb on too. Sounds great on any pick up and using the Volume Control on the Guitar makes it even more versatile. I do like using the Clean Channel as well, but set that with the Gain high, not breaking up, but very Fat sounding and lovely for Jazzier Backing Tracks on the Neck pick ups.

Funnily enough, the gear I use for Gigs (Wolfgang and Pedalboard) barely gets used at home anymore. The Wolfgang is my favourite Guitar for playability, but I prefer the tones from my others. Wolfgang is my Workhorse I guess, great gigging Guitar.

It's easy to set up the pedalboard at home, but I've been drawn to the "straight into amp" sound for quite a while now. Maybe sometimes the Wah comes out too.
    Conformity is the new Rebellion.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 763
    munckee said:
    At the moment my sound is my strat into Princeton 68 with @Fuengi s rat clone, but sooner or later he will remember I have it! : )
    Ha! I can hear the old "It's in the shed and we've lost the key" excuse when I ask for it back  ;)
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 584
    edited October 9
    At the moment, simply some blues or rock on a Vintage Lemon Drop on the middle out of phase position with some light crunch on a blackstar fly 3 on the sofa or, through my pedal board with a DOD looking glass, source audio gemini chorus, digitech obscura and eqd dispatch master into katana 100 for some sonic explorations. 
  • Fender Single coils into a fairly cooking Vox with a boost always on. Currently AC15hw and a Broadcast.  
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 1778
    edited October 9
    All of the gain. bit bassy, bit trebley and add a little bit of mids, but not too much mids. 

Scooped but not fully. 

Just a home player so no need to cut through anything. I like that. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 2132
    Clean, I’m basically after the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Sound...

...modulated, I go wild for Eric Haugen playing Marc Ribot.

I really need to sell a bunch of drive pedals :)
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 1097
    p90fool said:

Lovely!

Unusual to see the P90 bridge and humbucker neck, I've only see it the other way round or both the same
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 1719
    Little Vox Cambridge, mid boost, gain so its just starting to get dirty, fair bit of reverb, bright and clear, mostly Telecaster.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19300
    High gain, often with an octaver, usually with humbucker, sweeping through arpeggios and hitting the chord changes half a beat early.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• thegummythegummy Frets: 1097
    I love loads of different tones but if I had to pick one it would be the breaking up glassy sound of a Strat neck pickup through a Vox or Fender
  • vizviz Frets: 5097
    thebreeze said:
    p90fool said:

Always enjoy seeing this - thanks for posting.

viz said:
    Basic overdriven sound, as provided by a 40-year-old Gibson Les Paul, a Keeley overdrive and Steve Vai’s old Carvin Legacy :)

https://youtu.be/P5frIyOEwZ4
    How did you record this?  Do you have special gear or is it merely just putting an iPhone by the speaker? (that's a question for both of you!)
    Iphone :)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 288
    all mine are on the AX8 - the one I use by default is a Mesa profile, reasonably dirty/crunchy with a bit of reverb. I usually play with the bridge single/coil & middle pickup combined position as it takes away some of the dirt but keeps a nice bright sound...then for a crunchier rhythm for band/recording I can just switch to the bridge pickup. I like to keep a fairly dry sound - this is a profile I got online from someone who makes them and I've just tweaked it a bit. For lead it's a similar sound with more mids and a bit of delay. Clean is the Suhr Badger profile which is my favourite clean sound on the AX8. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 9341
    Great sound @viz , I do like a Deluxe!

@thebreeze it's just a Moto G4 propped on a chair
  • vizviz Frets: 5097
    p90fool said:
    Great sound @viz , I do like a Deluxe!

@thebreeze it's just a Moto G4 propped on a chair
    So’s yours :)
    Yep that deluxe is right creamy. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33941
    JerkMoans said:
    Nice to hear someone else mention them! I like the guitar sounds a lot too - including the at first inappropriate sounding use of distortion and fuzz in places. I often like what happens when a non-classic-rock player gets hold of stuff like that :).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 410
    It's  whatever I'm feeling like on a given day and can be anything from unplugged acoustic to 5 or 6  effects, a Tele and a tube amp.

Whoever called it "rush hour" should not be allowed to name anything else.

Dulcet Jones Creepy Music Blog http://dulcetjones.blogspot.com/

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1718
    Mine is the old Les Paul + EP type boost into Marshally type thing. It's just been variations on this for about 10 years.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2493
    Since most guitar is chords/rhythm I set the basic valve amp for that clean and punchy rather than interferring with bass, vocals and Keys. Then I use the best (to me) guitar and pickup configuration. So Strat would be bridge/middle and tone backed off or Just Neck. Tele would be either PU and judicious use of tone if required. 335 would likely be both PUs and blend the volumes.
    After that simple pedals set to sound nice and they are either on or off singularly or in combination. Lead overdrive would be typically soft middy tone and echo.
    The rest is down to the head/hands that make sit musical (or not)!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7217
    edited October 10
    EMG 81, high gain high wattage head & closed back cab or a simulation of.  Recto, 5150 etc, definitely a Mesa V30 cab.

My lead sound is like if 80s George Lynch kind of forgot how to play.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 2132
    ICBM said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Nice to hear someone else mention them! I like the guitar sounds a lot too - including the at first inappropriate sounding use of distortion and fuzz in places. I often like what happens when a non-classic-rock player gets hold of stuff like that :).
    Oh I could wax lyrical about CJs all day, and especially that album.  LOVE the stripped down, laid back feel of the thing. 
    Self-confessed Blues Lawyer
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 210
    Strat (bridge pickup - overwound) > Rat (everything at about  9pm) > WEM Dominator Mk 3 Bass with 15" speaker

With occasional boosts and delays before and after the Rat to taste.
  • andypandyp Frets: 192
    p90fool said:

I really enjoyed that! Fantastic sound and style. :)