Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Portable digital music player for £500 or less

What's Hot
As my iPod is on it's last legs I'm after a new non-Apple digital music player for £500 or less.  

Suggestions please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    Any Android phone with a microSD card? I use my old Moto G4 as a Spotify player. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    Poor pod
    :(

I bought one of these recently, although it's a fair bit under your budget.  
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

BT is handy.  A 256Gb card for music.  Supports hi-def.

With £500, this site is maybe a good place to start - just in case you're not already aware of it ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Sporky said:
    Any Android phone with a microSD card? I use my old Moto G4 as a Spotify player. 
    Some other people suggested this to me in a chatroom when I asked the same question.  What is the battery life like when you use your Moto G4 solely as a Spotify player?  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    I don't know, but I can check. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    TTony said:

With £500, this site is maybe a good place to start - just in case you're not already aware of it ...
    They have the Cowon M2 for a very decent price. I have its predecessor, the D20. I was able to get a 64GB card to work which, with the on-board 32GB, is a decent size.

The Cowon wins on two fronts. Battery life is quoted is not an exaggeration, you will not have to charge it on a regular basis. But the clincher is the sound quality, it is simply brilliant. I used to buy Creative players because they sounded so much better than anything Apple produced. The Cowon is vastly superior to any Creative player I had.

The Cowon software isn't the best, it takes a while to get used to.

But the sound quality just trumps everything.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    https://www.whathifi.com/products/portable

Worth a look & to read some reviews.  It might throw up a few brands/models you haven’t already heard of.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    This,  or the Astell & Kern AK70 mk2 which they are selling at a clearance price of £475

https://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/FiiO.406/FIIOX5III/FiiO_X5_3rd_Gen__X5iii__Hi-Res_Player_-_Black.15039.html
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    AK Jr for ~£250

The DAC in it is better than my REGA CD player.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TTony said:
    Poor pod
    :(

I bought one of these recently, although it's a fair bit under your budget.  
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

BT is handy.  A 256Gb card for music.  Supports hi-def.

Surprised to see that Sony are still carrying on the old "Walkman" name, I have visions of the old chunky cassette players! Some of these looks really nice and it's good to see they play all the high def formats such as FLAC and WAV. I will read up a few reviews and see. Anything below budget is good.
    Sporky said:
    I don't know, but I can check. 
    Yes please if you don't mind. Just a rough estimate.
    scrumhalf said:
    TTony said:

They have the Cowon M2 for a very decent price. I have its predecessor, the D20. I was able to get a 64GB card to work which, with the on-board 32GB, is a decent size.

The Cowon wins on two fronts. Battery life is quoted is not an exaggeration, you will not have to charge it on a regular basis. But the clincher is the sound quality, it is simply brilliant. I used to buy Creative players because they sounded so much better than anything Apple produced. The Cowon is vastly superior to any Creative player I had.

It's hard to find info if the Cowon software is Mac friendly or not. A lot of older reports online suggest it's not - do you have any experiences?
    duotone said:
    https://www.whathifi.com/products/portable

Worth a look & to read some reviews.  It might throw up a few brands/models you haven’t already heard of.
    Cheers for the link..
    Zoolooter said:
    This,  or the Astell & Kern AK70 mk2 which they are selling at a clearance price of £475

https://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/FiiO.406/FIIOX5III/FiiO_X5_3rd_Gen__X5iii__Hi-Res_Player_-_Black.15039.html
    Never heard of that brand either, that seems to be a bargain price.
    blobb said:
    AK Jr for ~£250

Hmmm., another good one to consider - thanks!
    All depends on what you are going to use it for: great audio in the home, car, or on the train, or do you want it for the gym/running, etc. Some are big'ish and chunky, others slim and small like an iPod. There is also not much point in sending £200 plus if you're not playing lossless audio files. 
  • Zoolooter said:
    All depends on what you are going to use it for: great audio in the home, car, or on the train, or do you want it for the gym/running, etc. Some are big'ish and chunky, others slim and small like an iPod. There is also not much point in sending £200 plus if you're not playing lossless audio files. 
    Just for when I’m walking and also on the train.  I have lots of lossless Audio files and hundreds of bootlegs in flac so would like to keep them. 
    The new Fiio M9 at £229 with dual dac looks great value in a neat package.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285

scrumhalf said:
    TTony said:

It's hard to find info if the Cowon software is Mac friendly or not. A lot of older reports online suggest it's not - do you have any experiences?
    If you mean transferring files then, as a PC user, I just use Wndows Explorer as I would with pretty much any external deivce. Not being a Mac user I can't advise on how this would work with a Mac, but I would presume that the Mac has the same sort of bog-standard file transfer software.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Good thread as I’ve been looking myself recently....I landed at the AK 70 mk2 to r similar...but not purchased yet.

how do I get lossless files anyhow ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Good thread as I’ve been looking myself recently....I landed at the AK 70 mk2 to r similar...but not purchased yet.

RIP your cd's as FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
    blobb said:
    AK Jr for ~£250

Hmmm., another good one to consider - thanks!
    the one thing I would say about the AK Jr is that it is a beautiful thing to hold. Sharp edges but the fitted cases are superb and round off those edges nicely.

Another good feature, which probably applies to most high end players, is that you can connect USB and it will stream audio out via it's in built DAC. So you can hook it up to your hi-fi if you want, and get the benefit of the DAC.

spark240 said:

Various websites similar to iTunes, do a search for Flac or lossless music downloads.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    Zoolooter said:
    There is also not much point in spending £200 plus if you're not playing lossless audio files. 
    Or if you don't have decent earphones.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    bingefeller said:
    Just for when I’m walking and also on the train.  I have lots of lossless Audio files and hundreds of bootlegs in flac so would like to keep them. 
    You can also convert these to MP3 320kbs, but most players support Flac nowadays. I struggle to hear the difference on a desktop system using Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I love HiFi audio products, but there is a lot of voodoo involved, and eventually when you have spent a lot of money, you will reach the point where you get to hear that a lot of music has been recorded and mastered very badly  

My portable setup is a little Flac capable SanDisk Clip MP3 player, with some (£300) Westone triple-driver IEM's. I decided to spend my money on the front end and it does the job well enough, but I am reading this thread with interest!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240 said:

Are you Windows or Mac?  I recommend XLD for Mac https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

scrumhalf said:

scrumhalf said:
    TTony said:

If you mean transferring files then, as a PC user, I just use Wndows Explorer as I would with pretty much any external deivce. Not being a Mac user I can't advise on how this would work with a Mac, but I would presume that the Mac has the same sort of bog-standard file transfer software.

Ok it should just be a case of drag and drop then thanks.