FT - 1969 Deluxe Reverb

What's Hot
strat84strat84 Frets: 84
Looking to trade my 69 dripedge deluxe reverb. It has the original oxford speaker and transformers. 240v export version. Serviced by Martin at MJW Amps early 2012 which included new filter caps, 3 core power lead and the bias changed from balance to adjustable. Trades I'm interested in are a Vibrolux/Super Reverb of similar age/condition or a blackface/tweed clone. Can take aome pics of the inside and transformer codes this weekend

http://i.imgur.com/Z2sPtTa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XEgWkec.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U3PNYU2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wCxFTl4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ziy0umk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uQZqHqX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Bj4PftN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EO5I2Q0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XilScnV.jpg
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 84
    Not sure really. I thought rather than put a price on it (which seem to be all over the place for vintage amps) it would be easier just to do a straight swap for something of the same age, perhaps a bit of cash either way depending on condition. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NamaquaNamaqua Frets: 43
    Are you interested in a 63 copper panel AC30?
    technically & sonically it’s perfect. Cosmetically good.
    I've had that one ages darling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @Namaqua Thanks for the offer but it's only a Fender I'm after really. Cheers
  • GassageGassage Frets: 20987
    If anyone is interested in a rough valuation and hope the op is cool with this, good drips are fetching around 1400-1700 these days. Just my POV and I track vintage amps all the time

Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

Cheers @Gassage don't mind at all 
  • I think the general consensus is that the smaller blackface/silverface era Fenders are more popular than the bigger amps these days and so this should have a good trade value. I think the drip edge looks super cool too! 
  • NamaquaNamaqua Frets: 43
    Yes, I have a drip edge Champ from the late 60s which is incredible sounding. Records amazingly well.
    I've had that one ages darling
  • xbrooomxbrooom Frets: 252
    edited October 11
    Just sold my 1966 blackface. These are great amps good luck with the sale.

@Gassage - no disrespected intented. But where have you found in europe a drip edge deluxe reverb for 1400? Or in the states for that matter if you add shipping and customs.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 2221
    edited October 11
    brooom said:

@Gassage - no disrespected intented. But where have you found in europe a drip edge deluxe reverb for 1400? Or in the states for that matter if you add shipping and customs.
    Personally I’d always expect a silverface to be a few hundred £ cheaper than a blackface, and your ‘66 was what - £1750 ono?
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 309
    I love the silverface look. The sounds ain't too shabby either!
    brooom said:

Personally I’d always expect a silverface to be a few hundred £ cheaper than a blackface, and your ‘66 was what - £1750 ono?
    Deluxe, Princeton or Twin? 

Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited October 12
    I'm talking about deluxe reverbs only.

Nope... mine sold for £1900. But @fretfinder it's not really about what you expect. It's more about what you see in the market. Which is why I was interested in @gassage 's point of view as he was using market values as a baseline, I believe.

However I have to say that I haven't seen many (if any) 64-69 deluxe reverbs for sale at the price points you mention, so if you could tell me where to find them, I'd actually appreciate it.
    As a guide for BF
    Twin 2/2.5k
    Deluxe 2k
    Princeton r 2/2.5k

SF Twin 700
    SF Deluxe 1000
    SF Prince 1000

add 500 for drip edge (or non MV on Twin.)

edited October 12
    @gassage - I agree with your evaluation of a bf deluxe reverb (depending on condition). I'd say 2k for medium to good in working condition is fair. Maybe a little less if it's roughed up.

But again I'm just not seeing any drip edge deluxe reverbs/princeton reverbs out there for sale at £1500. Do let me know if you find one, I might be interested.

brooom said:
    @gassage - I agree with your evaluation of a bf deluxe reverb (depending on condition). I'd say 2k for medium to good in working condition is fair. Maybe a little less if it's roughed up.

But again I'm just not seeing any drip edge deluxe reverbs/princeton reverbs out there for sale at £1500. Do let me know if you find one, I might be interested.

Will do, the last one I bought was 2015 and I paid 1250 for it. But as we both know condition is key and also it’s about actually selling the things at the moment, which is challenging.

edited October 12
    Yes, of course as with everything... timing is key. If you do spot a princeton reverb for example (silverface doesn't even have to be drip edge) at those prices, do let me know. I'll buy it on the spot.

Just out of curiosity, my 1965 vibrochamp also sold recently for £1000.
    brooom said:
    Yes, of course as with everything... timing is key. If you do spot a princeton reverb for example (silverface doesn't even have to be drip edge) at those prices, do let me know. I'll buy it on the spot.

Just out of curiosity, my 1965 vibrochamp also sold recently for £1000.
    I’m always looking, although openly, I’ll tell you I’m scouring the globe for a brown face Vibroverb and if I do find one sub 6k with orig trannie and speakers my 1965 EJ Twin or my BF PR and my Brownface 6G2 will be available. 

If if you see one (and I know of the 2 in the Us ) let me know

I'll keep it in mind, if I do come across one (not an easy amp to find at all).

Even though nowadays I tend to stay away from the temptation of looking up stuff. So that I don't end up buying more.

But again, mind you prices in US don't reflect the context of what we're talking about. As shipping and customs, usually add up a fair amount to the overall price.

brooom said:
    I'll keep it in mind, if I do come across one (not an easy amp to find at all).

Even though nowadays I tend to stay away from the temptation of looking up stuff. So that I don't end up buying more.

But again, mind you prices in US don't reflect the context of what we're talking about. As shipping and customs, usually add up a fair amount to the overall price.

Agreed.

literally I work on a dollar over there is a pound over here.

re Vibroverbs. 599 ever made in Brown, 19 in Blonde

I played one of Knopflers when it was in chandlers around 2000. I’ve never heard an amp that even comes close to its beauty and tone. It was perfection

edited October 12
    Straight dollar <-> pounds is a good rough way to estimate it.

But in my experience with some more diligent sellers it doesn't always work out in your favour and shipping/customs declared price can put quite a dent on the final price.

Also I find a lot of people here on the forum sometimes use reverb's price guides to argue on prices, however reverb's price guide is highly biased towards american princing, which is obviously not the same as UK pricing. Especially when we're talking about american made products.

Again, I'm yet to see deluxe reverbs/princeton reverb from 64-69 for sale at price points below 1700 here in the UK.

I've never played a brown vibroverb, but I believe you when you say it's great. I have however played blonde tremoluxes and brown supers, my favourite being the early version of the circuit with the tone stack similar to a baxandall type (volume at the center). And they were great amps, I just happen to have a thing to blackface/silverface fenders. Growing up playing them and all.

A vibroverb from that period will be a very rare catch indeed.
    edited October 12
    @broom Totally agree re Supers. They're also relatively accessible. Like around £2k-2.5k. Agree re the centre volume.

Brownface is, IMO, the greatest Fender era. The only one that's a little over-rated is the 1 x 12 Vibrolux, which doesn't have the same harmonic trem as the others.

Another real sleeper to me is a Tweed Tremolux- divine amp.

I guess I might subconconciously downvalue SF's as I find them too bright and I don't like the 'design look' as I do others. (edit a bit silly as a drip is the same as a BF!)

Here's a minter from Regent Sounds; 1999 is asking- I am sure they'd take 1700/1800 and that's a dealer in Denmark St.

brooom said:

Nope... mine sold for £1900. But @fretfinder it's not really about what you expect. It's more about what you see in the market. Which is why I was interested in @gassage 's point of view as he was using market values as a baseline, I believe.
    Wow, you sold an amp for £1900 that you were advertising for £1750?! Clearly I’m doing something very wrong with my sales!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    brooom said:

Wow, you sold an amp for £1900 that you were advertising for £1750?! Clearly I’m doing something very wrong with my sales!  :)
    @brooom 's was a rather wonderful Blackface. it was gorgeous.

edited October 12
    @fretfinder ;; - I don't remember advertising it for that price at all? If you check reverb (in sold mode) you'll see I had it over there at £1900. I had it over here very temporarily for £1800 for a week or so and then back to £1900. And yes we're talking about the same amp you showed interest in, at some point, but chose not to pursue.

My amp had seen some gigging action (especially if you looked at the grill cloth). But it was in full working condition and fairly original, with the exception of the electrolytics which were replaced with decent quality sprague atoms.
    brooom said:
    @fretfinder ;; - I don't remember advertising it for that price at all? If you check reverb (in sold mode) you'll see I had it over there at £1900. I had it over here very temporarily for £1800 for a week or so and then back to £1900.
    You advertised it for £1750 in your own thread here, assuming it’s the same amp...
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126080/65-amps-apollo-cab-1966-deluxe-reverb-magic-amps-x-brit-vintage-marshall-jmp/p1
    edited October 12
    I discontinued that thread after about a week of having it at that price and asking @TTony whether he would mind if I opened a new topic.

So like I said above, with the exception of a week where I lowered prices on some of the gear I was selling, my price point as always been either 1900 or above. In fact look at the date I last updated the sale and then look at the message and date on the last post I did on that thread. And you'll be able to confirm this.

I'm also glad you went through the trouble of digging this up, but it still doesn't change the fact that the amp has sold this week on reverb for £1900

My advice to @strat84 is to not undersell his amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Bump
  • Hello there, don't know if you will be interested but I'll have a go, I have a 95 vibrolux custom reverb, blonde and tan...musicman RD50 mint, musicman 2x12,  scruffy tweed blues deville,  Marshall bluesbreaker with flight case, not really vintage stuff here, but something might jump out at you, plus I'm not far from you, and of course cash your way, thanks Pat.
    Thanks Pat, some nice stuff there! I'll have to pass though I'm afraid as it's just the amps that are listed I'm after. Cheers anyway