Paypal payments when collecting in person.

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1173
When you guys sell gear, do you usually accept services payments over paypal (not gifts), if the person is collecting the item in person?

Doesn't it leave you open to the buyer filling a case with paypal, getting the money back as well as the item he collected?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    never ever do it
    for the reason you stated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t think they can file a claim with PayPal as they don’t get buyer protection if they collect from what I understand. Not sure is there’s any other scam they can do though.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    If you go down that route I would ask for proof of ID when they collect, showing address, so a drivers license and two utility bills. That is what you need when you collect a parcel from the post office. Anybody that is not a scammer will understand this.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    If you're meeting in person cash is king.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3444
    When they collect it, and leave with it, you can refund them their payment then tell Paypal you never sent it, that'll show em!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Ask them to bring a printed copy of their own Paypal notification. Get them to write on it "collected in person, checked all-OK" and sign and date it, and leave it with you.

Had one guy (I was the buyer) take photos of me putting the stuff in my car. Seems a bit OTT, but whatever made him happy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I don’t think they can file a claim with PayPal as they don’t get buyer protection if they collect from what I understand. Not sure is there’s any other scam they can do though.

A scammer would simply claim that it had been posted but not received. The seller doesn't have proof of postage and is therefore screwed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    If you go down that route I would ask for proof of ID when they collect, showing address, so a drivers license and two utility bills. That is what you need when you collect a parcel from the post office. Anybody that is not a scammer will understand this.
    at least you'd know who'd scammed you
    I think most people would refuse anyway
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    If it’s been sold on ebay, sit down together and leave feedback for each other before he/she leaves. I’ve done that before, it works well. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Thanks guys, I've worked it out with the buyer. It's on reverb.

I had to go back to reverb as things just aren't moving over here.

Basically I refunded him. He's going to collect and pay in cash. And when I close the sale I'll just add the sold on reverb option, so they get their fee.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    at least you'd know who'd scammed you
    I think most people would refuse anyway
    I thought the issue was about someone using another persons paypal account.

Don't know how I got two LOL's on the post, I try and post something funny and get Wis then post something serious and get LOL'd =)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited October 2018
    Iv used Paypal Gift in these circumstances. I believe that this method is safe from the Item not recieved/not as described scam as the sender of the payment can not claim it back