Any drive a Lexus Hybrid?

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
Need to choose a company car soon and due to the tax implications a Lexus Hybrid is currently on my shopping list.

Only had a short test drive so trying to find out what they are like to live with.

Any help much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Which model? 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    My brother in law had one.  His favourite line when he got rid of it was that the depreciation goes from 0 to 60 at warp speed.  May or may not be a consideration depending on how your company car scheme works.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    siremoon said:
    My brother in law had one.  His favourite line when he got rid of it was that the depreciation goes from 0 to 60 at warp speed.  May or may not be a consideration depending on how your company car scheme works.
    Depending on the model, a few of them seem to hold their value better than most cars...But isn't depreciation an issue with all new cars anyway?

Since OP hasn't responded yet, I'll give a general reply;

I've driven most of them - for full disclosure, my dad is a Lexus salesman, but that doesn't mean I think they're the best thing since sliced bread. 

I owned an NX for 2 years, and loved it. It's without doubt the most comfortable car I've ever owned (by a long, long way), and the interior exudes quality, even at the lower spec points. 

The fuel economy on it was fucking horrendous, despite it being a hybrid. Never managed more than about 30mpg for the time I had it! It was also not 'fun' to drive, in that you couldn't have fun with it, even in sport mode, as it was just too big and heavy. That didn't matter to me - long drives were done with ease, and getting out at the other end, you don't feel exhausted or achy from sitting in the car for so long, because the seats really are ridiculous. 

I suspect the RX is much the same, with even more luxury and still the same, terrible fuel economy, due to the sheer size of it. But it's like driving an expensive arm chair - you feel like a king. 

I suspect, if it's a company car, the model being offered is probably a CT or an IS. 

If it's space you require, look elsewhere. They're not big, but I can get my road bike in the back of the CT with the seats down, so not all lost!

The CT is a bit plastic-y on the interior compared to it's bigger brothers, but it still feels like good quality compared to most cars and the leather seats are just as comfy as the bigger cars in the range. Fuel economy is pretty good on them 45-50mpg real world I'd say, unless you're driving like a real wanker. 
    It's also small enough to be nippy when it's in sport mode. 

The IS is also small enough to be nippy and has a great interior in my opinion. They got rid of the 2.5 litre turbo charged petrol F-Sport from the range, which sucks as that was an epic car, but the hybrid engine and gear box is pretty responsive in the newer models. 

All of the models are let down by the ICE. I *think* the NX, RX and (maybe) IS models have been updated to include premium navigation as standard at all spec levels except the SE (base) model...which is a bit better, but still a bit dated compared to something you might get in a new VW (apple CarPlay etc). It does a job fine (bluetooth works seemlessly, DAB, Sat Nav, decent sized screen), but can be a bit clunky to operate. 

If you want any other specific info, more than happy to help, but in summary, if you're doing a fair bit of driving, you won't find a better range of cars for comfort. If you're looking for something frugal, the IS and CT are OK but anything bigger and you're not getting anything close to frugal. 

Lexus' (Lexi?) in general always give the feeling of being well built and feel like a quality luxury car (from my experience), but if you want something super fun, might not be where you want to be...unless you buy the RC or V8 LC, which is an absolutely ridiculous car. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    The problem I've had with Lexus is the dealers - tried to arrange a test drive of the NX at the Guildford and Reading ones, and neither wanted my money enough to let me book it in person at the dealer, nor to phone back.

I don't think it's that I smell or look too poor, because when I had a look at a Macan in the local Porsche dealer (just to see if it was big enough for Sprocket) they pretty much wouldn't let me leave without a test drive, even though I made it clear I wasn't in the market at that point.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    The problem I've had with Lexus is the dealers - tried to arrange a test drive of the NX at the Guildford and Reading ones, and neither wanted my money enough to let me book it in person at the dealer, nor to phone back.

I don't think it's that I smell or look too poor, because when I had a look at a Macan in the local Porsche dealer (just to see if it was big enough for Sprocket) they pretty much wouldn't let me leave without a test drive, even though I made it clear I wasn't in the market at that point.
    That surprises me. I've (and my dad before he became one of them) only ever have good service from the dealers in Lincoln, Coventry and now Cheltenham. But they're all owned and run by Listers, so that could be the common denominator.

I had a similar experience to you with our local VW dealer. Called and told them I want to arrange a test drive of the new Tiguan, money waiting....this was 2 years ago and I'm still waiting for a call back to arrange one.  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    joneve said:

But they're all owned and run by Listers, so that could be the common denominator.

I think the Guildford one is owned by Lookers who are a pit of shit (see also the local VW, Audi and Alfa dealers - all unfailingly awful).

The Toyota place next to the Reading one is a disaster too, so that might explain it.

I assume car manufacturers never do secret shopper stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    joneve said:

But they're all owned and run by Listers, so that could be the common denominator.

I think the Guildford one is owned by Lookers who are a pit of shit (see also the local VW, Audi and Alfa dealers - all unfailingly awful).

The Toyota place next to the Reading one is a disaster too, so that might explain it.

I assume car manufacturers never do secret shopper stuff.
    Aye, Lookers are absolute shitters, so that definitely explains that. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Apologies for not replying sooner.
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Joneve.

I can have an NX or an IS .The NX will cost me more in Tax but is a very nice car.
    Not that bothered about performance, dynamics etc etc. Just want something comfortable to waft me up and down the motorways.
    I also have the option to opt out and buy my own car so may end up buying a second hand qashqai and pocketing the cash .