DC Junior Checkerboard

What's Hot
mrmorrisonmrmorrison Frets: 33
edited October 2018 in Making & Modding
Hello The Fretboard, thought I would just go through the creation of my DC Junior Checkerboard guitar.
It was purchased as a kit from Precision Guitars in Canada.The main thing about the build is that  it is was quite simple to do and has turned out really well and plays and sounds superb.   

Here is the ageing frying pan with tuners and bits going through the time machine 

The parts are from WD Music in Kent.Thanks for your help Ben and Dan.

The mahogony body was and neck were grain filled before spraying and the I sprayed straight on with Manchester Guitar Tech Vintage White.Thanks Steve Robinson for paint and advice.

Here is a first coat mock up .I always get excited to see what it may look like. Scratchplate from Miser Neil.Thanks for advice Neil.

Headstock very D.I.Y but that a deliberate tactic to keep away from the fake Gibson world.Also inspiration from Loic LePape DC Steel Juniors.They have a distinct charm which sets them apart.

The finished guitar.All aged parts and a brilliant Mojo dog eared P90.Through my Marshall 1974 X.Very Nice. 
Thanks for looking...
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Love it! The Precision kits play great too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks I have only built the Junior Kits.Have you built the more expensive Les Paul single cuts?.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    The Flying V and X kits (both build threads on here) before they stopped doing them. 

Play and look great, I got the paint done by other people rather than attempt myself.  
  • Yes I have seen the flying v and x.Very nice..Precision seemed to have cut back on what they do.
  • Nice work @mrmorrison !! Makes you wonder why there are no UK companies offering the quality kit options.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    That looks great! How much did it cost you all in?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    I love that
  • I bought the kit at the wrong time really.Pound is low against the dollar.Import charges were bad.It cost £720 all in.It is though very playable and a one off although I got the finish idea from Rocknroll Relics. 
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Superb build, how long was it from despatch to delivery?
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • Nice work @mrmorrison !! Makes you wonder why there are no UK companies offering the quality kit options.

Nice work @mrmorrison !! Makes you wonder why there are no UK companies offering the quality kit options.
    Crimson do Kits but they only do Strats, Teles and Les Pauls
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I can supply LPJ DC or SC kits, but most people want to buy their own hardware. I think this is so they can build it with very cheap bits and pieces, then gradually upgrade. You also have to consider how many types of P90 pickups are available, the same goes for bridges,  tuners not problem because most people want vintage Kluson. Is much easier to supply the body and neck and let the customers pick their own hardware. My kits come with the neck glued in,  I do supplier pick guard and the back plate. LPJs  do cost more to make then a Strat or Tele, Mahogany costs considerably more  then Swamp Ash, Alder and Maple. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom