Opinions on Marshall 9000

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
There's a 9000 for sale locally. Any opinions?

Is it lighter than a 100w head?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4177
    I’d say it’s heavier, my 9000 felt heavier than the Sun :)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    There's a 9000 for sale locally. Any opinions?

Is it lighter than a 100w head?
    Which model? 9000 was the series.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • @Gadget the all-black one. I believe there's another with gold.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    @Gadget the all-black one. I believe there's another with gold.
    Assuming you're talking power amps, there was IIRC the 9060 and 9040 mosfet 2u amps and the 9005 valve 4u.

I had a 9060 and remember it being a good amp, but obviously without the harmonic character of a valve amp. It had volume controls (as did the 9005). The 9040 had no volume controls and was driven entirely from the preamp.

It was heavy, but probably a little less than a 100W head - at a guess, say 15kg vs 20kg (?)

I also had the 9001 valve preamp. It looked great, but sounded awful. Just in case I was using it wrong in my youthful days, I bought another a few years back and only managed to confirm that my previous disappointment was entirely justified.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Had a 9005 power amp. Sounded awesome with a jmp1. 

As has already been said, very heavy. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    I t may weigh more than a 100w head as it has more transformers and that is where much of the weight is 

Failing that I have a 9100 power amp up for grabs, already in a 3u aluminium flight case - £400

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The chap seems to have modified his Facebook advert. It's a 9005 50/50. 

Still in two minds. I fancy a backup for the Sound City 50+ I use for gigs and a backup amp for a floor monitor.

do have a 100w JMP. But I don't use it and would actually like to sell it on. 50w has been more than enough for venues so far. The poweramp is at a good price, but I don't fancy the weight.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Gadget said:
    I also had the 9001 valve preamp. It looked great, but sounded awful. Just in case I was using it wrong in my youthful days, I bought another a few years back and only managed to confirm that my previous disappointment was entirely justified.
    Have a wiz.

I have a 9001 in "project" condition. I have never managed to raise sufficient enthusiasm to refurbish it. Your comments have reminded me of exactly why. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Another wisdom for the 9001 being pants.
    I replaced mine with a Hafler T2 (or was it T3). Now that was a good sounding preamp.
    It was paired with a 9040 power amp which was surprisingly good, in a "does what it says on the tin" sort of way.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom