Opinions on Marshall 9000

What's Hot
pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 548
There's a 9000 for sale locally. Any opinions?

Is it lighter than a 100w head?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 1863
    I’d say it’s heavier, my 9000 felt heavier than the Sun :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 599
    There's a 9000 for sale locally. Any opinions?

Is it lighter than a 100w head?
    Which model? 9000 was the series.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 548
    @Gadget the all-black one. I believe there's another with gold.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 599
    @Gadget the all-black one. I believe there's another with gold.
    Assuming you're talking power amps, there was IIRC the 9060 and 9040 mosfet 2u amps and the 9005 valve 4u.

I had a 9060 and remember it being a good amp, but obviously without the harmonic character of a valve amp. It had volume controls (as did the 9005). The 9040 had no volume controls and was driven entirely from the preamp.

It was heavy, but probably a little less than a 100W head - at a guess, say 15kg vs 20kg (?)

I also had the 9001 valve preamp. It looked great, but sounded awful. Just in case I was using it wrong in my youthful days, I bought another a few years back and only managed to confirm that my previous disappointment was entirely justified.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 163
    Had a 9005 power amp. Sounded awesome with a jmp1. 

As has already been said, very heavy. 
  • I t may weigh more than a 100w head as it has more transformers and that is where much of the weight is 

Failing that I have a 9100 power amp up for grabs, already in a 3u aluminium flight case - £400

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 548
    The chap seems to have modified his Facebook advert. It's a 9005 50/50. 

Still in two minds. I fancy a backup for the Sound City 50+ I use for gigs and a backup amp for a floor monitor.

do have a 100w JMP. But I don't use it and would actually like to sell it on. 50w has been more than enough for venues so far. The poweramp is at a good price, but I don't fancy the weight.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3322
    Gadget said:
    I also had the 9001 valve preamp. It looked great, but sounded awful. Just in case I was using it wrong in my youthful days, I bought another a few years back and only managed to confirm that my previous disappointment was entirely justified.
    Have a wiz.

I have a 9001 in "project" condition. I have never managed to raise sufficient enthusiasm to refurbish it. Your comments have reminded me of exactly why. 
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 1997
    Another wisdom for the 9001 being pants.
    I replaced mine with a Hafler T2 (or was it T3). Now that was a good sounding preamp.
    It was paired with a 9040 power amp which was surprisingly good, in a "does what it says on the tin" sort of way.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter