Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Worst attempt at a fraud yet?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Can't you give them another scammer's email for paypal - and let them start fighting each other
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    King85 said:
    Just arrange a meet somewhere nearby and then down turn up, at least waste their time a bit.
    They have no intention of arriving to take the 'item'. It's a PayPal scam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reply back with a suitable Paypal address and tell them to collect the package from 10 Downing Street, London. Inform the courier that he should approach the premises in a van driven erratically then jump out of the van shouting various religious slogans in order to get your attention as the front doorbell is on the blink.  

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I think you're all rotters for mocking this poor man who has just survived a brush with death on the operating table. Fortunately he's too deaf to hear the awful things you are saying about him.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do not like that everyone is missing the obvious issue here . The buyer patently wants to buy the car to flip it for some of that schweeeet skrilla. The bastard/bitch/arsehole of non-binary defined gender.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1270
    m_c said:
    I wonder how long it would take them to get their money back if you sent them a random PayPal address...
    What money?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    You say their idiots, but my friend's sister handed her violin over via this method, so it obviously works on liberal Londoners.
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Just as a fraud thread is near the top, I thought I'd share a video I watched today

Sometimes fraudsters get bitten by those they wish to scam. Though the end shows that even terrible scammers, using a tool that has taken steps to limit their ability to scam people manage to steal an awful lot of folks money - stay aware and vigilant 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1232
    KrisGee said:
    m_c said:
    I wonder how long it would take them to get their money back if you sent them a random PayPal address...
    What money?
    For this type of scam, there is money.
    They pay you via PayPal, then once they have your item, they put a claim in via PayPal that they've not received the item, and due to them having collected the item in person, you have no proof the item was delivered.  At which point PayPal will issue a refund at your cost, so you are then one item less, and no money to show for it.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    What if you videoed handing the item over to this mysterious 'courier agent'? 

They'd probably still claim whoevers paypal account that was used didnt end up recieving it, but would you the seller be liable for that if you had proof you handed it to whatever courier the buyer decided to employ? 

Obvs in these scams there is no courier/cousin/friend collecting it, its all just the scammer.  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    skunkwerx said:

They'd probably still claim whoevers paypal account that was used didnt end up recieving it, but would you the seller be liable for that if you had proof you handed it to whatever courier the buyer decided to employ?
    Yes.

Paypal will not accept any form of proof whatsoever, other than a signed-for trackable courier delivery.

In fact, this type of scammer usually goes further by overpaying and then asking you to send the balance to a third party - obviously connected to the scammer - which you then can't recover, so you're down the goods (which the scammers don't really care about) and the money (which they do).

I have to admit that I hadn't realised until I read @goldtop 's post that the wording is *intentionally* ludicrous, in order to filter out all but the most stupid and gullible. The very type, who once hooked, are easy to lead on further up the garden path with requests like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1270
    m_c said:
    KrisGee said:
    m_c said:
    What money?
    For this type of scam, there is money.
    They pay you via PayPal, then once they have your item, they put a claim in via PayPal that they've not received the item, and due to them having collected the item in person, you have no proof the item was delivered.  At which point PayPal will issue a refund at your cost, so you are then one item less, and no money to show for it.
    Reason I asked what money is because it's most likely a nigerian scam where no money is involved at all. They ask the seller for their paypal address and full name for a reason - so they could create a fake message from paypal saying 'Dear John Smith, you have money in your paypal account.' 
    Some people are stupid enough to believe it and hand the item for sale into the hands of a so called agent, before realising they were scammed.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    skunkwerx said:

Obvs in these scams there is no courier/cousin/friend collecting it, its all just the scammer.  
    They'd simply say the person you handed it to was nothing to do with them. You'd have no proof either way