Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just spent the most I've ever put down on a gig for a show over a year away.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
Not big bucks at all, just shy of £50. I don't spend on expensive stuff. I wouldn't normally buy a ticket for a gig over a year away either but I didn't want to miss out. I'm an ageing old proghead and Steve Hackett is playing one of my favourite albums in its entirety - Genesis, Selling England by the pound. Can't wait!

What's the most you've spent on a ticket, and what would be an unmissable show for you?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    £250 to be in the front standing area at the Stones London gig last year - worth every penny!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    At my age I wouldn’t book anything that far forward....
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I don't think I've spent more than £100 on the tickets themselves but I did once travel to the US to see a band, so the combined airfare, hotel etc was about £2k.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited October 2018
    I think Bruce Springsteen was around £70.. next closest was £50ish for X-Japan.. booked them almost a year in advance.. then the show was rescheduled for a year later.. think I bought them in June 2015 and saw them March 2017..

Bruce wasn't worth it.. X-Japan were.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    At my age I wouldn’t book anything that far forward....
    You keep that glass half-full !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At my age I wouldn’t book anything that far forward....

My colleague went to see Steve Hackett last week and bought a ticket for next year. He made the point that both he AND Steve Hackett need to survive for it to work!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • £200 to see Pavarotti. It’s not unusual for me to have £200’s of tickets in my wallet for gigs, some of which can be many months ahead. However, at the moment, I have nothing booked - there’s nowt much in the Newcastle area that I fancy at the moment.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    £200 to see Pavarotti. It’s not unusual for me to have £200’s of tickets in my wallet for gigs, some of which can be many months ahead. However, at the moment, I have nothing booked - there’s nowt much in the Newcastle area that I fancy at the moment.
    That must of been worth it though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    £130 for golden circle tickets for Guns n Roses at Olympic stadium last year, worth every penny to be honest with you.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    £80-ish to see Andrea Bocelli. My wife loves his voice so I forked out to see him at the O2. Well worth it, his voice sent shivers down my spine.

I’m not a great fan of big venue gigs though, so I’ll usually only spend £10-15 on smaller venue gigs. Much better value, you feel more involved with the music and you can usually  get to talk to the artists afterwards. 
  • I can't think of any gig I've paid more than £50 for. The Stones was probably the most expensive but I doubt it was more than £50.
    The gigs I go to these days tend to be small venues and tickets less than £15.
  • 12 quid praying mantis
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I saw Steve Hackett a couple of years ago on the Genesis Revisited tour; it was really good!

I won a pair of tickets online and the person I was going to go with dropped out so I gave the other ticket to someone at the door for a pint from the bar.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    poss close to £100 for something like Queen 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    £195 for two tickets to see Paul Rodgers on his Free Spirit tour, it was fantastic but the guitar player and his tone were a little off but then I am judging him against Kossoff, not exactly fair!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    £4.25 to see the Stones at Knebworth in 76. Seemed like a lot at the time.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6903
    Around £60 for Neil Young. I don’t have a limit as such but I’m not a massive fan of watching big acts in big arenas. It feels too detached from the action and seated gigs even more so.

I’d much rather see an up and coming act in a tiny venue for a few quid. In fact some of my favourite gigs have been the cheapest..

I saw the Amazing Snakeheads for about £6 in a tiny venue in Brum. They created such a menacing atmosphere; a dirty, loud and edgy performance that’s hard to describe but goes beyond just music. The lead singer died recently at 32 - a true loss.

Saw Cabbage in a small pub venue and going to see The Blinders in a week or two -again both young bands coming through.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited October 2018
    £80 for a Monday at Ronnie Scott's 2007 - Jeff Beck's 1st night.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I really detest massive arenas.. I think the Etihad is just about the worst place I've ever been. 
    My favourite band though seem to make Manchester Club Academy a staple on most tours though and that's a great venue :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    LuttiS said:
    I really detest massive arenas.. I think the Etihad is just about the worst place I've ever been. 
    My favourite band though seem to make Manchester Club Academy a staple on most tours though and that's a great venue :)
    I don't much like the large places, the O2 being particularly bad; I paid to see Linkin Park there and the sound was awful (the speakers didn't work for a while), saw Pearl Jam when a friend had a spare ticket and they were OK, and saw Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour from a friend's company executive box (they were great, but if felt a little bit detached).